Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Target practice with a .357 snub nose and .380 semi-automatic (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/target-practice-357-snub-nose-380-semi-automatic-75130/)

Handygirl103 10-27-2012 02:28 AM

Target practice with a .357 snub nose and .380 semi-automatic

I typically just shoot for fun with rifles for target practice and shotguns for clay pigeons. It's been about 14 years since I've even shot a handgun. But since I recently inherited a .357 snub nose, and would like to get my concealed carry permit, I've been doing some target practice in my yard. The first time I went out I shot the .357 at 20 yards. I was using an 8" target and only hit it twice out of five rounds. I was very disappointed and realized it was gonna take me a while to get used to handguns again. The next day I borrowed a .380 semi-automatic from my mom, and using the same 8" targets at 20 yards I hit the target with all 14 rounds, but only within a 6" group. When I told my mom about my results, she said I should not be shooting from 20 yards. My question is this: How far should I be starting from (since I'm basically starting from scratch with handguns) now, and how far should I realistically be hoping to get to with practice?

mountainman13 10-27-2012 02:32 AM

Welcome to FTF. The general accepted distance is 21'. Most circumstances where a handgun is required are within that distance (generally much closer). With practice you should be able to reach out to 25 yards with most handguns.

Handygirl103 10-27-2012 02:50 AM

Thanks! I guess I'll start at 7 yards tomorrow and take it from there.

Gh0zt36 10-27-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handygirl103 (Post 991300)
Thanks! I guess I'll start at 7 yards tomorrow and take it from there.

Yea , I was going to suggest 10 yards . That's pretty good . Also while .357 isn't the most powerful gun on the planet it is no slouch either. So if you're not shooting sub MOA at 20 yards don't let it discourage you . Especially if you havn't shot in a while.

Also welcome to the forum. And we love pics around here so if ya feel like showing off your newly aquired .357 we'd love to see it !!!

jimogden1984 10-27-2012 06:59 AM

Go get some 38 specials and shoot those to get you started. They'll be easier to handle than the 357

Old_Crow 10-27-2012 09:57 AM

When you have to qualify for your concealed permit you don't have to use a pocket pistol. You are free to use a duty sized pistol. Then as others have posted you only have to shoot 7 yards, a few courses in this area have you qualify at 10 yards. I used a Dan Wesson 357mag with 10" barrel to qualify.

vincent 10-27-2012 01:05 PM

Welcome to the forum!!! :D

Good advice here so far, SD distance (21' and in) is where to start, then as you get more comfortable, move out a bit...Plus, if you have a SD confrontation from more than 21', you gots some 'splainin to do...:eek: (see Tueller rule...)

The snubby just isn't the best range gun, more for up close and personal encounters so don't get discouraged with your results, the .38 idea is a great one and will help you with trigger control and muscle memory...

I would start off at a simple 3 yards, move back as your groups improve...

7point62 10-29-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 991703)
The snubby just isn't the best range gun, more for up close and personal encounters so don't get discouraged with your results, the .38 idea is a great one and will help you with trigger control and muscle memory...

I would start off at a simple 3 yards, move back as your groups improve...

X2 on all of the above.

Handygirl103 10-30-2012 01:56 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I knew the .357 wouldn't be good for target practice, but since it was a free gun, I'm gonna shoot it ;) It certainly won't be the gun I carry when I get my permit, but I do want to be comfortable with it in case I ever need to count on it. Which brings me to my next question... Suggestions for what to carry? My good friend is offering me his old duty gun, which is a .45, but I'm thinking that's a bit overkill for me. I was leaning towards a 9mm. Thoughts?

vincent 10-30-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handygirl103 (Post 995147)
Thanks for the advice!

I knew the .357 wouldn't be good for target practice, but since it was a free gun, I'm gonna shoot it ;) It certainly won't be the gun I carry when I get my permit, but I do want to be comfortable with it in case I ever need to count on it. Which brings me to my next question... Suggestions for what to carry? My good friend is offering me his old duty gun, which is a .45, but I'm thinking that's a bit overkill for me. I was leaning towards a 9mm. Thoughts?

Without knowing exactly how much experience with handguns you have, the best thing I could tell you is to see if you can find a range that rents guns, and try out as many as possible to see what you shoot best, what is in your price range and what fits your carry needs the best...

If it's not comfortable for you to carry then you'll likely end up just not carrying it. Of course you ladies have the advantage of a handbag so there goes my 'comfort' angle...;)

Long story short, find which model you shoot most consistently, then go from there...