Talk with a student today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Talk with a student today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Talk with a student today

So, I just got off the phone with a former student.

She was referred to me for training about a year ago by a deputy after she had been seriously beaten by a former boyfriend. She was brutalized by this mook...arm broken, jaw broken, cracked and fractured ribs, sexually assaulted.

The boyfriend booked back over the border to Mexico and as yet, has not been picked up. Now, it would seem, he is back. He called her last night, and told her "I love you, and want you back". Funny how "love" can hurt right???? Staffing being what it is...local PD can't "form a task force" to find the guy. That's just reality. She said an officer came by, took a report, and told her they'd "Do what we can."

She asked me if I could make some time to give her a refresher. Obviously, I told her yes. I told her, it would be "no charge"...the girl is still in college, and I didn't charge her the $450 for the two-day course I ran her through the first time. I told her it was more important to spend the money on a quality pistol and ammo. (I do this from time to time in special cases).

So, she's coming up this afternoon and I am going to run her through some drills with her Glock 26 (an old BUG that I sold her for $1 with the promise that when she graduates and buys another gun, she will sell it back to me for the same $1). She showed up the first time with a used Raven .25 that some douchetard (Can we say douchetard on here?) at a pawn shop sold her for $150.

When I trained her the first time, she had never held, let alone fired a handgun. I let her shoot the Glock 26 with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion to get familiar with the basics. She was pretty good...she kept all ten rounds inside the "9" ring at 5-10 yards. After the first hour she was doing it at 15 - 20 yards. When I put the 9mm top end back on, she was up to speed in no time.

I won't go over the whole course, save to say, by the end of day two, she was shooting and moving, getting to cover, doing nice mag swaps, and generally displaying a good set of skills. I even went to her small rented home and "wargamed" some house clearing and RED GUN force on force with her.

My point is....get a .22 conversion for a training gun to start someone off...they are worth their weight in gold.

Now, I may go looking for this turd myself.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #2

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My cousin and daughter have been beaten by men. My cousin is a cancer nurse now in Hawaii. The man she was married to would beat her and she would allow it. Finally she commenced to take a beating from him when she took that bat away from him and put him in the hospitol. While he was in the hospitol, which was about 60 days, to heal from his beating, she divorced him. She got into a little trouble over it but in the end moved to Hawaii. Best move she ever made as she finished her nursing school. That was back in the 1970's and they were in Alaska.

My daughter keeps getting hooked up with the same kind of guy and has taken her fair share of beatings. She's getting another divorce now. Right now she lives with me and I won't allow any guys to visit here. However, she does see a guy away from here, from time to time, and it bothers me even though he seems O.K.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-20-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

What be a "mook"??

Got NO sympathy or respect for a guy that beats on a woman!!(uless of course said woman starts it...you wanna hit like a man, you gonna get beat like a man is my thought process)

I have often thought about getting a .22 conversion kit for the 1911...just to work on my skills and save a BUNCH of coin.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Az, my respect just went up for you a few more notches. No wonder the 19 YO hotties are throwing themselves in your path. You're a knight in shining armor.
You should change your name to Saint Arizona.
You set a good example, sir. Well done!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8699 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

mook (mk) KEY

NOUN:
Slang
An insignificant or contemptible person

Several years back, used to train about a dozen nurses a year in defensive shooting. The number of compact, reliable autos of a social caliber was a bit smaller then- we would stick with double action revolvers (start with .38 Short Colt, move up to .38 Sp wadcutter, then 125 JHP).

Some were ladies that had problems- some had seen one too many cases come thru the ER.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

That jerks my chain when a man hits a woman or treats them like personal property

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-20-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

was looking at that conversion for my g-22 and can only one price of 294.00 any idea how much they cost. and i also noticed that because i have a gen 4 one site said that the conversion i need is a little differnt from the others.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have absoulty no respect for anyone who hits a girl. id run before id even think about hitting a girl..

a good friend of mine--,,, his dad got robbed by a girl. and the girl shot and killed him. very sad happened a long time ago, when he was little.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #9

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
What be a "mook"??

Got NO sympathy or respect for a guy that beats on a woman!!(uless of course said woman starts it...you wanna hit like a man, you gonna get beat like a man is my thought process)

I have often thought about getting a .22 conversion kit for the 1911...just to work on my skills and save a BUNCH of coin.
A mook is a jackhole. Taking advantage of a woman like that.

I think the Glock idea is great. They absorb a lot of vibration and recoil,

and it may be a great first gun for her.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman
So, I just got off the phone with a former student.

She was referred to me for training about a year ago by a deputy after she had been seriously beaten by a former boyfriend. She was brutalized by this mook...arm broken, jaw broken, cracked and fractured ribs, sexually assaulted.

The boyfriend booked back over the border to Mexico and as yet, has not been picked up. Now, it would seem, he is back. He called her last night, and told her "I love you, and want you back". Funny how "love" can hurt right???? Staffing being what it is...local PD can't "form a task force" to find the guy. That's just reality. She said an officer came by, took a report, and told her they'd "Do what we can."

She asked me if I could make some time to give her a refresher. Obviously, I told her yes. I told her, it would be "no charge"...the girl is still in college, and I didn't charge her the $450 for the two-day course I ran her through the first time. I told her it was more important to spend the money on a quality pistol and ammo. (I do this from time to time in special cases).

So, she's coming up this afternoon and I am going to run her through some drills with her Glock 26 (an old BUG that I sold her for $1 with the promise that when she graduates and buys another gun, she will sell it back to me for the same $1). She showed up the first time with a used Raven .25 that some douchetard (Can we say douchetard on here?) at a pawn shop sold her for $150.

When I trained her the first time, she had never held, let alone fired a handgun. I let her shoot the Glock 26 with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion to get familiar with the basics. She was pretty good...she kept all ten rounds inside the "9" ring at 5-10 yards. After the first hour she was doing it at 15 - 20 yards. When I put the 9mm top end back on, she was up to speed in no time.

I won't go over the whole course, save to say, by the end of day two, she was shooting and moving, getting to cover, doing nice mag swaps, and generally displaying a good set of skills. I even went to her small rented home and "wargamed" some house clearing and RED GUN force on force with her.

My point is....get a .22 conversion for a training gun to start someone off...they are worth their weight in gold.

Now, I may go looking for this turd myself.....
You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. I have no investigative experience but if you need help, let me know.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------