Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Taking a Stance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Stance

Gentlemen,
This is my first ever attempt at responding to a forum so,... I am not even sure if I am doing this right but, here it goes... My question to the gentlemen who began this thread is simple: "A shooting stance to do what?" I think those of us with Mil/LE experience assume the person requesting an "opinion" is concerned with training continuity that builds upon sound tactics etc, etc... I was fortunate to have been spoon-fed the Iso from Day One as a Marine and as a LEO back in Tennessee. But, that does not mean that the Iso is "THE" stance for all forms of non-tactical shooting. So, I never had to relearn any thing or make any adjustments. As an former Police firearms instructor and current adjunct instructor for United States Shooting Academy out in Tulsa we HIGHLY "recommend" the Iso but we are also aware of the passions this simple question awakens. Just my thoughts.

http://www.usshootingacademy.com

Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodieusmc View Post
Gentlemen,
This is my first ever attempt at responding to a forum so,... I am not even sure if I am doing this right but, here it goes... My question to the gentlemen who began this thread is simple: "A shooting stance to do what?" I think those of us with Mil/LE experience assume the person requesting an "opinion" is concerned with training continuity that builds upon sound tactics etc, etc... I was fortunate to have been spoon-fed the Iso from Day One as a Marine and as a LEO back in Tennessee. But, that does not mean that the Iso is "THE" stance for all forms of non-tactical shooting. So, I never had to relearn any thing or make any adjustments. As an former Police firearms instructor and current adjunct instructor for United States Shooting Academy out in Tulsa we HIGHLY "recommend" the Iso but we are also aware of the passions this simple question awakens. Just my thoughts.
As the gentleman who started this thread I will try to answer your question.

This is the part of the post that is most overlooked:

Each shooter, under the guidance of the Firearms Instructor, and consistent with safety must find the shooting stance which is best suited to them and provides the greatest degree of stability and accuracy for shooting. The shooter must be able to assume their stance instinctively, as a reflex action with minimal effort or conscious manipulation of their body.

However please forgive me I was never a Marine. As a LEO Firearms Instructor Trainer and a LEAD Blackwater Instructor I was offering my $0.02 and that’s probably all it is worth.

Please note that Target Accuracy and Combat Accuracy are 2 different things all together. And what I teach is A way but not THE way to do it.

All too often people train on a static range and don’t move off the X don’t practice the draw or train for the fight. Weather you are shooting IDPA IPSIC any kind of Comp. or Combat ,I "notice" I said (I) would use this stance.

But hay what do I know.....Welcome to the forum and good first post!

Tom Perroni

Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #13
GDS

DCJS,
"The shooter must be able to assume their stance instinctively, as a reflex action with minimal effort or conscious manipulation of their body."

Glad you clarified in your last post. I was fixin to join the fray with my two cents. Which is, there is no ONE right way to shoot. The circumstances will always dictate the method: tactical, combat, or SD. Eliminate the sub- human by whatever means!
Squared up goes against all my military training. The weaver and other low profile positions goes against my L.E. training.

The only stance that I have found that works the best all the time is the stance or position I happen to be in when its time to make people dead.

Shoot, and shoot some more, then go ahead and burn another 500 rounds, then, yes somebody is yelling to shut off the spot lights, shoot another 500 just to be sure!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Excellent thread, excellent posts! I'll contribute from the students perspective, any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I've been trying to standardize on the Combat Isosceles stance for the last couple of months. I'm 5'6"/145 lbs., so I don't have as much "leverage" as others and it was recommended to me when I was trying to gain control of my full size .45 ACP. I noticed an immediate improvement (after I got my grip right) in accuracy & follow up shots with pistols with it for starters.

I then used it with my newly acquired M11/9 SMG. It seemed a natural for this application, so far I've kept my feet pretty much planted, but I can swivel from the hips to get about 120 degrees of target acquisition with good control.

A few weeks ago I took a tactical shotgun course. We engaged targets from behind cover and on the move, and also had to shoot off-hand. I had never shot a 12 GA off-hand, but after a couple of rounds it wasn't that bad (even with slug/buck rounds) and I didn't have to worry about repositioning my feet. The hardest thing for me was keeping my feet spread far enough and remembering to bend my knees.

I haven't had a chance to use it much with my carbine as I've mainly been shooting it off the bench so far.

In summary, it's been tuff to learn new techniques after 35 years, but the improvements have been obvious. I just hope it doesn't screw me up for dove season this fall. As some one stated, practice will be the solution.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
The posters are great. If you want to minimize proper tecnique to that degree go ahead. Sure, you may get by having a jacked up stance and crossing your feet while running up the down side of an escalator while drawing you Desert Eagle .50 AE from your homemade ankle holster, but how many times? If you think "training" means you do what you can to get by,once, than have at it. It may work out for you, it may not. I doubt there's many professionals out there, military or L/E, who say "yeah, I just use what the hell ever stance I happen to slump into, I'll get by, and ten years from now no one will remember anyway." No one except your wife and kids cause your dead cause you tripped over something because you had your head up your ass with your foot positioning and you got smoked cause instead of getting to your weapon to protect yourself, you're fumble ****ing around on the floor. But, some dude put up some posters on a gun forum and apparently Wyatt Earp said do whatever you want, no one will remember. Have at it boys. Shoot from a friggin lawn chair with your feet up on the beer cooler for all I care.
Since the subtly of the statements seems to have passed you by, let me explain it.

This long-running Weaver vs. Isoscoles vs. 3/4 hip vs. Center Axis Relock is absolute crap. Your stance is the least important of the fundamentals. That's right, the least important. The mantra that people are taught when first learning to shoot is "front-sight, press," not "stance, front-sight, press." A good sight picture and trigger manipulation are the keys to accuracy.

If I happen to fall on my ass, I'll have a bruised ass, and be able to put my rounds into the bad guys. If I happen to fall on my side, I'll have a bruised pushup muscle, and still be able to put my rounds into the bad guys. If I fall on my face, I'll have some lacerations on my palm, but the bad guys will be leaking much faster than I am.

The exact statement on the first picture places your priorities in a true gunfight: don't stay in one place, and find cover. This is taught to all of the combat arms in the US Military. Don't be where the bad guy thought you were, and hide behind something that will stop bullets.

On to the second picture. Wyatt Earp didn't say that. It is supposed to make you think. What stance was Wyatt Earp in? What gun did he use before he moved to Tombstone (after he moved to Tombstone, supposedly he used the Colt Single Action Army Bisley modification in .45 Colt; although there is strong evidence that the Bisley modification wasn't done until after the Tombstone events were over)? What caliber was it? This little errata of history is lost to the overall concept that Wyatt Earp won every gunfight he was in...

Old 04-19-2008, 05:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Have at it boys. Shoot from a friggin lawn chair with your feet up on the beer cooler for all I care.
I can effectively group pretty tight shots sitting in a lawn chair with my feet on a beer cooler...

...but it seems the original post was geared more for the beginning shooter.

The original post was excellent for someone starting out, or trying to re-start correctly.

-----
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Ah, the Weaver vs Isocoles argument. I shoot Weaver but am trying to retrain myself to Isocoles (Squared to target) for a variety of reasons.
-----
Screw it! Learn (and master) both... then when you've done that, master hitting a target while sitting in a lawn chair with your feet on a beer cooler.

In all of my training and experience, one of the most applicable statements I've ever heard in any course is: "Never get in a mindset and stay there."

...I stole that, and I use it in all the tactical courses I teach.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It seems to me that exposing the students to the various options (I hit better squared up) and explaining the pros/cons of each is about all you can do. The only person who can decide which stance is best is the guy holding the weapon.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodieusmc View Post
Gentlemen,
I coulda swore I already responded to this thread, but it appears I didn't. However, my sentiments are pretty much aligned with your post.

I used to be one of those hard-headed know-it-all shooters who swore by one particular method until around 2000 when I first started getting into firearms instruction. Basics are basics, and I was stuck on the basics. I had an instructor tell me "never get into a mindset and stay there."

I was taught the basics, and I was very good at teaching the basics. I was a very basic shooter

The Iso is a great foundation to build upon. It allows for refining of the REST of the basic techniques for shooting adequately. Once those other techniques are honed and refined, then you allow for advancement into tactics and shooting tactically.

I'm going to stop here, because I think this, plus the rest of what I have to say is going into an article

Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
It seems to me that exposing the students to the various options (I hit better squared up) and explaining the pros/cons of each is about all you can do. The only person who can decide which stance is best is the guy holding the weapon.
I agree with gorknoids, 100%. No matter which stance you prefer, they are great for teaching basic target shooting, or competition.

I would not recommend concentrating on a proper stance while you are proned out behind a concrete planter box because of incoming 7.62x39 rounds at the local mall. I don't think the bad guys will wait while you get the proper stance, so it's a good idea to learn to shoot from all kinds of positions other than at the 15 yard line and on command. From behind cover, kneeling, prone, supine, strong hand, support hand, whatever.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #20

Default Combat an Option

Remember: "Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option".

Since this is a forum for firearms enthusiasts the implied context is that when confronted with a conflict that holds potential for escalation into a violent encounter ... you have a viable option in place that allows for not fighting back. Good luck with going passive in a bad situation about to get worse.

If the author had another context in mind I invite him to step forward and state same.