Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Taking some first timers to the range. Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Before you go... Email them the you tube video below. I did this with "virgin" neighbors earlier this month and another FTF member shared this idea with me. I had them watch it in there own home several times before we went to the range and it went very well.

A brief rundown on range rules upon arrival and I did not have to correct a single safety issue.

Beyond that just be POSSITIVE, let em have fun, and be ready for the wife to outshoot her husband... Hope his ego can take it because it happens every time!

Good Luck and thanks for creating new shooters. It is by far the biggest contribution any of can make to the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs&feature=player_embedded#!

Tack

Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I agree. I don't shoot when I take a newcomer to the range. I took my mom and dad to the range back in November. My dad had never fired a gun and my mom hasn't shot since she was in the National Guard over 20 years ago. At the time, all I had was two 9mm pistols and a .38 snubnose. Both enjoyed it. My dad so much he went and bought a Beretta 92fs. And since then had bought a Taurus 1911. He has over 500 rds 9mm and 250 .45 Auto. To say he is hooked is an understatement. He wants to go shoot more than I do.

Main thing is to show them safety and etiquette. 3 rules come to mind.

1. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

2. Always keep the gun pointed downrange.

3. Only put your finger on the trigger once you are aimed at the target and ready to fire.

My dad has actually turned into a more accurate shooter than I. My mom hasn't been back but she fired M-16's, 1911's and .50 cal machine guns. So the adrenaline rush of firing for the first time had been lost long ago.

I'd start with .22LR. Move to .380/9mm. Then .223. Then .45 Auto. Then .30 caliber rifle and/or 12 gauge shotgun.

The main thing is to make it safe and fun. Always say good job when you go look at the target. Even if the groups are 18".

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Start with pistols show them how to load the mag. Lock your slide or open your cylinder and show them how to hold it and explain the sights. Let them fire a mag just to get the feel. With newbies you end up burning alot of ammo and you don't get to shoot alot. But it's good to get other people involved. I've taken my buddy a few times got him to buy a S&W .40 and he sucks. He patterns like 16" in all directions but getting better. We took his old lady once and she was double tapping in a couple mags. I told him if someone breaks in give the gun to her.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My recommendations:

1. Start with a short range safety brief - keep it brief and just cover the basics. Like keeping finger off trigger, muzzle awareness, blah blah

2. Start with dry fire.

3. Start with small calibers.

4. Let them shoot and don't over correct them. Make. Sure they have a good time. Don't critique technique immediately, just make sure it's safe.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I would even go as far as in their or your home, before you go to the range, let them hold them (empty) while you explain the safety's and how an auto blows backwards and a revolver rotates, and where not to hold either of them. If they show any signs of playing with it like its a toy (knowing it is empty), or unknowingly pointing it at you as they 'admire' it, then maybe it would be best to not take them out on a firing range until they get the basics of being safe down.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

All good stuff. Depending upon the vibe from them, I agree with Anna that maybe a quick safety review and touch/feel session at home before going to the range may be helpful since they've never held one before, just for comfort sake and so they don't get overwhelmed with everything going on at the range.

Also be sure to give them a good large silhouette target and keep it close to start. Putting holes in paper anywhere feels good. If they pick it up quickly, great - challenge them with a best of 5 shots or other ways to mix it up.

Don't one up them as was said - I accidently did that to my son last week. He was having difficulty sighting a new rifle last week that we had just picked up. Got a little frustrated and said he was done. I picked it up intending just to put a few down to see what the issue was. Well, it wasn't the rifle. He'll get over it, but isn't as excited to go back out with it again. No need for you to shoot really, but if you do, just remind them you've been doing this a long time and started out the same way.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

People Like This