Taking some first timers to the range. Tips?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Taking some first timers to the range. Tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default Taking some first timers to the range. Tips?

I've been talking to a co-worker about shooting and he has decided to meet me at the range in a few weeks. He also wants to bring his wife, but neither have even held a firearm. Obviously, safety will be the main concern but does anyone have any tips to make it more enjoyable?

I really want to add these two to our community rather than having them leave with a sour taste in their mouths.

I appreciate any help.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 05-07-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Make sure to show them how to be safe and don't do the range douche thing and put too big a gun in their hands to get a laugh. I can't count the times I've sen some idiot try to get some 110 # girlfriend to shoot a 44 mag and it's the first time they have shot a gun in their lives. All this does is turn off what might become a new member of the gun owning public. The perceived laugh is just not worth it. Start small and work up to anywhere they might be comfortable.

WE owe it to ourselves, other gun owners, and new would be shooters to show we are safe and responsible gun owners. WE have many bad stereotypes as it is.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #3

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Start them both off with 22LR.

Let them know that more powerful

stuff is available, but wait till they ask,

to let them shoot the stuff.

IME, the ladies are first to ask for the

larger calibers.

Bring water, and you'll think you are moving at a slow pace,

but it will be a fast pace, for the noobs.

We always have a great time, and go out for a late Lunch

afterward.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Make sure to show them how to be safe and don't do the range douche thing and put too big a gun in their hands to get a laugh. I can't count the times I've sen some idiot try to get some 110 # girlfriend to shoot a 44 mag and it's the first time they have shot a gun in their lives. All this does is turn off what might become a new member of the gun owning public. The perceived laugh is just not worth it. Start small and work up to anywhere they might be comfortable.

WE owe it to ourselves, other gun owners, and new would be shooters to show we are safe and responsible gun owners. WE have many bad stereotypes as it is.
Absolutely, the main guns used will be a Ruger SR22, a Henry .22lr and a Marlin .22lr. I completely agree.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't try to one up them. If you do shoot, shoot with your other arm. Nothing is more discouraging than absolutely sucking. Took a friend out with the clay thrower, didn't miss my first 15, then he shot, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, and done. He went back to the .22 pistol and hasn't showed enthusiasm towards shotgun shooting since.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoitz View Post
Don't try to one up them. If you do shoot, shoot with your other arm. Nothing is more discouraging than absolutely sucking. Took a friend out with the clay thrower, didn't miss my first 15, then he shot, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, and done. He went back to the .22 pistol and hasn't showed enthusiasm towards shotgun shooting since.
I second this. Personally, I wouldn't shoot at all. Just concentrate on them, safety, and fun. Get them to challenge each other. They're married, they're obviously comfortable with each other, so see of they have a competitive steak in them, but make it FUN and safe. Offer a prize for whatever criteria you see that may be important to them, such as safest shooter.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

No matter how bad they are, they are doing GREAT!

Sometimes I have found that if I stress "watch the front sight" as they are shooting, they get on paper.

Don't have too many shooting at one time that you cannot keep an eye on all.

There are times I do not shoot when teaching others. I will demonstrate holds, positions, or other things, but will not shoot a firearm even though I am at the range for hours.

Oh, and as others have said, stress safety, have all use eye and ear protection, and have fun!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 05-07-2013 at 01:20 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
No matter how bad they are, they are doing GREAT!
That's the truth! How many people actually score ten ring hits on their first trip to the range? I personally consider putting a bullet in the right general direction for a first timer to be a great success.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #9

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i allways start newbee with a 22lr rifle. allthow mine is a semi auto i only load one round at a time first then to a 22lr relover, semiauto then and only then to someting with a kick. the main things i stress is sight picture and keeping that dam finger off the triger tial your ready and only radey to fire. then of course all the standards of safe shooting if you have someone thats relly shy shooting a hand gun you cant go worng starting with a 22lr relover loaded with cb shorts

Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3159 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

Safety 1st!! Then start them off close -up and don't move 'em back until they're regularly hittin' the X ring.

Have her go before him, in order to put less pressure on her to compete and more pressure on him.

Move back in to close range at the end to "leave them with a good taste in their mouths".