tactical training question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > tactical training question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

I do not like to rely on mechanical safeties alone when the firearm is banging around my body.

That is why on the course, they should have something to put your rifle on when transitioning to pistol.

And the same goes when you are going from pistol to rifle. You should be able to pick up the rifle from a pre-positioned table or such as you run the course.

(And like others say, the handgun should be first, then the rifle. Near to far.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2078 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

If you are being 'trained' to use tactics in 'battle' you MUST use the same tactics you would use in battle. If, while in firefight, you would put your long gun on 'safe' when you 'sling' it and transition your handgun do so. If in battle you would not put your long gun on safe before slinging it and transitioning to your handgun don' put it on safe.
YOU DO AS YOUR TRAIN!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2161 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
If you are being 'trained' to use tactics in 'battle' you MUST use the same tactics you would use in battle. If, while in firefight, you would put your long gun on 'safe' when you 'sling' it and transition your handgun do so. If in battle you would not put your long gun on safe before slinging it and transitioning to your handgun don' put it on safe.
YOU DO AS YOUR TRAIN!!!!
This is not a safety issue. For so many years I have set the safety on a shotgun when I put it down, empty or not, that I set the safety in competition. Setting the safety doesn't take any longer than if I just set the gun down. Setting the safety is what I have been trained to do. I am not so good with my AR.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-30-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2692 Times on 1871 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
YOU DO AS YOUR TRAIN!!!!
Real training drills have rules that specifically cover all that. Self training is a different matter, you set your own rules or none at all. Arguing over personal choices is unproductive. A self defense firefight with an AR and a handgun is a fantasy. Any serious battle training is not and should not be self administered.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2078 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Real training drills have rules that specifically cover all that. Self training is a different matter, you set your own rules or none at all. Arguing over personal choices is unproductive. A self defense firefight with an AR and a handgun is a fantasy. Any serious battle training is not and should not be self administered.
If I am the 'trainer' I must live what I teach. I am the trainer!!!!
And as I said, 'you will do as you train'.
BUT you must only train in the basics, because you MUST be able to adapt to a very dynamic situation quickly if you wish to survive and hopefully prevail!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2443 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default tactical training question

If you are self training on dropping your rifle and drawing your pistol in case of a malfunction, I'd recommend mixing a snap cap in with your live rounds and having a buddy load it in your mag for you or purposefully not paying attention to where it is in the mag and how many shots are before it. It's a lot safer and a lot more realistic than having a slung weapon bouncing around with 1 in the pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 03-30-2014, 03:38 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

The snap cap is a great idea from a defensive stand point...similar to malfunction drills and training to respond to the stimulus rather than training a routine...in a defensive situation you will never be expecting the malfunction...learning and training to respond to it is much more beneficial

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamp2003 View Post
Training question: when you're running a course, do you consider it safe to sling your AR on safe to draw your secondary? Even if it still has rounds in it?
For me, I would never run a course where you would transition to your secondary while the rifle still has rounds in it. I trained my son that way and he, in turn, trained his company that way before they deployed to Iraq (his second deployment). They had never trained to transition to their secondary and he saw the need to have that training so he trained them as he had been trained, both stationary and on the move. The only reason to transition to your secondary is if your primary is down.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=JonM;1522722]

You wouldn't drop a loaded firearm in combat why do it in training. [quote]

Failed to mention this in my post and glad someone brought it up. When designing a drill or exercise one of the items you must consider is how it would apply to a real event and how probable that event is.

Getting rid of your loaded and functional long gun and transitioning to your sidearm plays no purpose in a defensive or combat situation. I can not think of any time someone has said "I had to switch to the handgun because he was too close."

Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This should be settled by now . The safest and most realistic way to train is to transition from an empty gun . There is no need to set the safety and doing so would start a habit that would slow you down in an emergency . You could also forget to switch the safety off once you got your long gun back into action .
Practice as realistically and safely as possible .