Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > tactical training question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default tactical training question

Training question: when you're running a course, do you consider it safe to sling your AR on safe to draw your secondary? Even if it still has rounds in it?

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Safe, no. Possibly in some strange sense battlefield expedient, yes. Two different things.

The reason you transition to a secondary is when you have gone dry on the primary or a malfunction and pulling a handgun is faster than reloading on close quarters targets.

You would be stupid to drop a working rifle with ammo to go with a handgun...

In other words don't take a handgun to a rifle fight. If you want to practice transitions load only a couple rounds or stick a snap cap in the magazine somwhere to simulate a malfunction or shooting dry then transition. That's far more realistic.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-05-2014 at 03:21 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Yes, if the training course specifically allows it, and the participant is qualified.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #4

I think it is safe. I understand the reasoning behind doing it, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean if people appendix carry glocks with nothing but a trigger safety and 1 in the chamber then I really don't understand why my buddy is getting his panties in a wad. Let's be honest. Even if something bad happens on a 1 point sling the barrel is below the upper leg. There's no significant artery in the lower extremity outside of the thigh. To me, it's way more dangerous to carry a glock with only a trigger safety and one in the chamber pointed at your junk/thigh. Your thigh does have a serious artery if something bad happened.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #5

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Yea, no big deal. Shooting yourself or someone else is perfectly acceptable. Just don't hit an artery!

Huh????

Seriously, JonM had the correct answer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

I didn't say it was acceptable. Goodness. I'm weighing the relative risk of a certain action. The same thing we do everyday. Relax. Do you at least understand my point in regards to the glock appendix carry?
l

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Well the glock has nothing to do with your original question.

But i will address it anyway.

A handgun in a holster is under your control. A rifle swinging around on a sling on your body free to rub the safety off and free to have foreign objects insert themselves into the trigger guard hile your running around is not under your control and not safe.

I cant think of a single legitimate tactical reason to drop a working rifle with ammo still in it for a handgun. So in essence the question is moot to begin with. You would never do such a thing in a real.fight for your life why train to do it??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #8

Thanks for your input. You're assuming a lot though. I never said the Glock was in a holster with a trigger guard. I've literally seen people carry them with the EZ holster or whatever it is, with the barrel insert as the only means of keeping it in there. I do understand why you would say there's not a valid reason for doing it, and I agree. That wasn't my question though. I also never said running. If I get to a station on a course, safety my primary, sling it, draw, shoot, and holster my secondary, then go back to my primary before I move at all, do you think that is safe? That was the situation, whether it was tactically necessary or not, that a buddy reamed me out over. The same buddy that points his glock at his penis with no trigger guard and only a piece of plastic in the barrel. I understand that may not have been the best thing to do in that situation. But I don't like when someone's preaching safety to me when they're muzzle swiping me all day at the range. I came here to get opinions. I just found that extremely hypocritical. Like I said, I realize (in hindsight, it's a little different when your HR is about 160) that I didn't do the drill the right way. I was irritated when he flipped out like I pointed it to his head. Anyways, thanks for the input. I guess I asked a broad question to a more complex situation.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Putting a loaded firearm into or on or hanging from anything that isn't a holster is not safe.

A rifle that's loaded and is dangling free out of your control or a handgun stuffed in a waist band no holster are both conditions that end up at some point perforating something or someone that shouldn't have holes punched through.

I'm not going to just your balls. You are evidently old enough to purchase firearms. All I'm putting out is best practice. Train like you fight. You wouldn't drop a loaded firearm in combat why do it in training. Same is true for a handgun. If your stuffing a glock or any other pistol in your pants your going to shoot your junk at some point.

If your dropping a loaded rifle on a sling it's the same thing as stuffing a loaded glock in your waist band. You can do what you will but your the one that's going to pay the price when someone starts leaking.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You didn't say but it seems to me that a lot of the responses assume a single point sling. Might want to look into a 3 point sling like the Specter. Tends to keep the weapon tighter to the body and more controlled. Just my 2 cents

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc