Tactical Footwear

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Tactical Footwear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tactical Footwear

What kind of footwear do you wear while your training?

I would like to get some tactical boots, do they make spiffy ones for sale on the internet?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #2

Brigade Quartermasters

Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #3

Default boots

check out ebay for better prices, but i would suggest 5.11 tactical, they make great boots which are rugged and practical, converse has a similar version which i like because of the side zipper

Old 09-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I either wear an old pair of jungle boots that I have left over from my days in the army, or flip flops. It's important to train with the equipment that you will have when put in the situation that you're training for.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Tactical footwear

I wear the footwear for training that I would likely wear in combat. When I was a uniform officer, it was Danner (or similar) boots. As a detective, some sort of street shoe, or more likely athletic shoes. In retirement almost always athletic shoes.

I've often wondered....
How many concealed handgun carriers commonly carry while wearing rubber flip-flops, or other sandals in the summer? I don't think that makes much tactical sense, especially in a prolonged encounter where you may have to move quickly.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
I wear the footwear for training that I would likely wear in combat. When I was a uniform officer, it was Danner (or similar) boots. As a detective, some sort of street shoe, or more likely athletic shoes. In retirement almost always athletic shoes.

I've often wondered....
How many concealed handgun carriers commonly carry while wearing rubber flip-flops, or other sandals in the summer? I don't think that makes much tactical sense, especially in a prolonged encounter where you may have to move quickly.
If you're used to wearing them, it makes perfect sense. What 'tactical situation' would preclude the wearing of flip flops? You can ask the same thing about athletic shoes, look at how quickly their soles clog up with mud, and how poorly they shed that mud.

Last edited by matt g; 09-19-2007 at 12:04 AM.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have any special footwear for training, I just wear what I normally wear. This could be my cowboy boots, my Corcoran desert boots from my trips to the sand box, or in the winter my leather insulated boots (basic hunting boots, but good ones).

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
If you're used to wearing them, it makes perfect sense. What 'tactical situation' would preclude the wearing of flip flops? You can ask the same thing about athletic shoes, look at how quickly their soles clog up with mud, and how poorly they shed that mud.
Whatever. It just seems to me they would come off too easily if you had to make a series of sudden position changes.
How well do flip-flops perform in mud?

I normally dislike making movie comparisons to real life, but did you ever see the movie Die Hard? The hero, John McClane, wound up fighting the bad guys in his socks, and it caused him many problems.

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering. I could be wrong.

All Rights Reserved

Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Whatever. It just seems to me they would come off too easily if you had to make a series of sudden position changes.
How well do flip-flops perform in mud?

I normally dislike making movie comparisons to real life, but did you ever see the movie Die Hard? The hero, John McClane, wound up fighting the bad guys in his socks, and it caused him many problems.

Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering. I could be wrong.
I performed advanced Jeep recovery while wearing flip flops. They usually come off pretty quick to get lost in the mud or thrown in the cab. They're less than ideal, but I'm more likely to wear them than I am to wear 'tactical' boots. It's just one of those train how you fight sort of things.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #10

Okay, fair enough. For the record, I haven't worn tactical boots since I was last in uniform patrol, which would have been round about 1995 or so.

I hafta ask, what's Advanced Jeep Recovery? I've never heard of that. Is that sort of like rock climbing in a jeep?

All Rights Reserved