Sunday Safety Lessons

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Sunday Safety Lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default Sunday Safety Lessons

Here are a few what not to do......

You tuber shoots himself

Here is his report.

and my favorite.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

The first medical call I went on as a rookie cop (1974) was a man who accidentally shot himself in the upper leg while seated in a big recliner.
When I arrived he explained to me what happened and I ask him how long it had been since he had shot himself and he said I arrived just minutes after he called (actually his wife called). I looked at the wound and looked similar to the one in the picture above, just a small round hole with no visible bleeding. (I was just back from my second tour in RVN so gunshot wounds were not upsetting to me) The patient was calm and he said it didn't really hurt bad, just felt like some had hit him in the leg with a big club, it was still almost numb. The medical was enroute and I elected not to move him or do any first aid. The ambulance arrived within 5 minutes and while they were talking to him he started to go into shock. Well the bottom line here is he died enroute to the hospital. He had severed the femoral artery and was bleeding profusely but into the big chair where it was visable. This was an eye opener for me and after that I did a much better patient assessment when I arrived first on any trauma scene.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8495

Jim. That's rough man. It was a hard lesson to learn, but given the fact that he severed the femoral artery, there really isn't much that could have been done to save him. Don't beat yourself up over it. It was his time my friend. It was his time.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The first medical call I went on as a rookie cop (1974) was a man who accidentally shot himself in the upper leg while seated in a big recliner.
When I arrived he explained to me what happened and I ask him how long it had been since he had shot himself and he said I arrived just minutes after he called (actually his wife called). I looked at the wound and looked similar to the one in the picture above, just a small round hole with no visible bleeding. (I was just back from my second tour in RVN so gunshot wounds were not upsetting to me) The patient was calm and he said it didn't really hurt bad, just felt like some had hit him in the leg with a big club, it was still almost numb. The medical was enroute and I elected not to move him or do any first aid. The ambulance arrived within 5 minutes and while they were talking to him he started to go into shock. Well the bottom line here is he died enroute to the hospital. He had severed the femoral artery and was bleeding profusely but into the big chair where it was visable. This was an eye opener for me and after that I did a much better patient assessment when I arrived first on any trauma scene.
Do you remember what gun and caliber?

People often ridicule folks that have Glocks and use external trigger block safeties. I religiously use one, in combination with a holster I never take the gun out of unless I am intending to shoot the pistol.

My goal is not to die from shooting myself with my Glock 20.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Ruger Black Hawk with 38 wadcutter. I recovered the bullet.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!