Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Sunday Safety Lessons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/sunday-safety-lessons-89735/)

Jagermeister 04-28-2013 07:02 PM

Sunday Safety Lessons

Here are a few what not to do......

You tuber shoots himself

Here is his report.

and my favorite.

JimRau 05-05-2013 02:30 PM

The first medical call I went on as a rookie cop (1974) was a man who accidentally shot himself in the upper leg while seated in a big recliner.
When I arrived he explained to me what happened and I ask him how long it had been since he had shot himself and he said I arrived just minutes after he called (actually his wife called). I looked at the wound and looked similar to the one in the picture above, just a small round hole with no visible bleeding. (I was just back from my second tour in RVN so gunshot wounds were not upsetting to me) The patient was calm and he said it didn't really hurt bad, just felt like some had hit him in the leg with a big club, it was still almost numb. The medical was enroute and I elected not to move him or do any first aid. The ambulance arrived within 5 minutes and while they were talking to him he started to go into shock. Well the bottom line here is he died enroute to the hospital. He had severed the femoral artery and was bleeding profusely but into the big chair where it was visable. This was an eye opener for me and after that I did a much better patient assessment when I arrived first on any trauma scene. :(

kfox75 05-10-2013 04:20 PM

Jim. That's rough man. It was a hard lesson to learn, but given the fact that he severed the femoral artery, there really isn't much that could have been done to save him. Don't beat yourself up over it. It was his time my friend. It was his time.

AR10 05-14-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1237540)
The first medical call I went on as a rookie cop (1974) was a man who accidentally shot himself in the upper leg while seated in a big recliner.
When I arrived he explained to me what happened and I ask him how long it had been since he had shot himself and he said I arrived just minutes after he called (actually his wife called). I looked at the wound and looked similar to the one in the picture above, just a small round hole with no visible bleeding. (I was just back from my second tour in RVN so gunshot wounds were not upsetting to me) The patient was calm and he said it didn't really hurt bad, just felt like some had hit him in the leg with a big club, it was still almost numb. The medical was enroute and I elected not to move him or do any first aid. The ambulance arrived within 5 minutes and while they were talking to him he started to go into shock. Well the bottom line here is he died enroute to the hospital. He had severed the femoral artery and was bleeding profusely but into the big chair where it was visable. This was an eye opener for me and after that I did a much better patient assessment when I arrived first on any trauma scene. :(

Do you remember what gun and caliber?

People often ridicule folks that have Glocks and use external trigger block safeties. I religiously use one, in combination with a holster I never take the gun out of unless I am intending to shoot the pistol.

My goal is not to die from shooting myself with my Glock 20.

JimRau 05-18-2013 03:20 PM

Ruger Black Hawk with 38 wadcutter. I recovered the bullet.