Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Suicide policy?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Range suicides have been fairly common here in CA over the years. The ranges won't rent to people who are alone, unless they are members that are known.

__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DALLAS,TEXAS
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

not in texas.. you can even rent a weapon if you have a felony but not buy one. you might have to be with someone else though for that i dont know.

although i heard today that someone killed themself at the range that i go to this past wednesday. crazy.. i dont know if it was a rented weapon either.

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. what happened to a knife and some warm bathwater??

__________________
pranc2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lonyaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bandera,Texas
Posts: 10,381
Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. what happened to a knife and some warm bathwater??
The shrinks say that those who do it with a gunshot are trying to make a statement by doing it that way.
__________________
lonyaeger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sewell,NJ
Posts: 4,815
Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
not in texas.. you can even rent a weapon if you have a felony but not buy one. you might have to be with someone else though for that i dont know.

although i heard today that someone killed themself at the range that i go to this past wednesday. crazy.. i dont know if it was a rented weapon either.

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. what happened to a knife and some warm bathwater??
The point is not that they are trying to prevent a suicide, they just don't want the liability of supplying the tools. Someone hell bent on killing themself will find a way but as Lon points out the act is usually one of expression or a last, desperate act for recognition. Quite sad and tragic actually.
__________________

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jpyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
The point is not that they are trying to prevent a suicide, they just don't want the liability of supplying the tools. Someone hell bent on killing themself will find a way but as Lon points out the act is usually one of expression or a last, desperate act for recognition. Quite sad and tragic actually.
Plus, when a suicide occurs at a range, the pistol involved becomes evidence and is taken until the case is closed. Also, the cleanup on aisle 3 is immense. Bio Hazard style. The whole range gets closed, cleaned, painted, etc. It costs thousands of dollars for the range to clean up after a suicide.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IXLR8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Katy, TX,Texas
Posts: 120
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I rented a machine gun in Las Vegas by myself, actually 2 different ones and a riot shotgun. There were no questions, just a willingness to pay the $100 for ammo.

It must be a difference in state regulations.

The Gun Store in Las Vegas is always one of my favorite stops. Last time it was an MP5, a G3, and a SPAS 10. But they have a wall full of them to select from.

The Gun Store Website

__________________

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.
IXLR8 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPro View Post
Weston man commits suicide at Lauderdale Lakes shooting range
October 15, 2010|By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel


A Weston man shot and killed himself Friday morning at the Arizona Shooting Range in Lauderdale Lakes, leaving behind a suicide note, authorities said.

The Broward Sheriff's Office identified the victim as a 47-year-old Weston man, but did not release his name.

The suicide occurred at about 10:45 a.m. at 4325 North State Road 7, said Veda Coleman, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

"He shot himself there at the gun range," Coleman said. "He did leave behind a note."
Thats my range

Its should be up to the range who they loan rental guns too but on the same token no law should ever be created for it. People who want to commit suicide will commit suicide I just don't understand why you would want to shoot yourself when you could OD on some relaxers or something.
__________________
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

So..if you had a weapon on you he would have rented one to you?

__________________

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Seriously, that is a pretty stupid law. There are easier ways to kill yourself that are cheaper than renting a firearm and buying ammo at their prices.
If you're planning to kill yourself, I would imagine that the price of the ammo is not really a concern....
__________________
TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,673
Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
I rented a machine gun in Las Vegas by myself, actually 2 different ones and a riot shotgun. There were no questions, just a willingness to pay the $100 for ammo.

It must be a difference in state regulations.

The Gun Store in Las Vegas is always one of my favorite stops. Last time it was an MP5, a G3, and a SPAS 10. But they have a wall full of them to select from.

The Gun Store Website
Not to derail but im glad you mentioned this. I just got off the plane in vegas amd dont le av e till thursday. Im gonna check out the gun store while im here.
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Assisted Suicide Benning Boy The Club House 9 07-16-2010 05:49 PM
Suicide??? tomgodd The Club House 23 02-19-2010 12:07 AM
Another murder suicide Jo da Plumbr The Club House 17 06-10-2009 03:32 PM
Suicide -multiple Shot Gun hits Chest + throat + heart Scare_Rab General Shotgun Discussion 9 12-31-2008 11:36 PM