Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Suicide policy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Range suicides have been fairly common here in CA over the years. The ranges won't rent to people who are alone, unless they are members that are known.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

not in texas.. you can even rent a weapon if you have a felony but not buy one. you might have to be with someone else though for that i dont know.

although i heard today that someone killed themself at the range that i go to this past wednesday. crazy.. i dont know if it was a rented weapon either.

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. what happened to a knife and some warm bathwater??

Old 10-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post

that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. what happened to a knife and some warm bathwater??
The shrinks say that those who do it with a gunshot are trying to make a statement by doing it that way.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #24

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
not in texas.. you can even rent a weapon if you have a felony but not buy one. you might have to be with someone else though for that i dont know.

although i heard today that someone killed themself at the range that i go to this past wednesday. crazy.. i dont know if it was a rented weapon either.

The point is not that they are trying to prevent a suicide, they just don't want the liability of supplying the tools. Someone hell bent on killing themself will find a way but as Lon points out the act is usually one of expression or a last, desperate act for recognition. Quite sad and tragic actually.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #25

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
The point is not that they are trying to prevent a suicide, they just don't want the liability of supplying the tools. Someone hell bent on killing themself will find a way but as Lon points out the act is usually one of expression or a last, desperate act for recognition. Quite sad and tragic actually.
Plus, when a suicide occurs at a range, the pistol involved becomes evidence and is taken until the case is closed. Also, the cleanup on aisle 3 is immense. Bio Hazard style. The whole range gets closed, cleaned, painted, etc. It costs thousands of dollars for the range to clean up after a suicide.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I rented a machine gun in Las Vegas by myself, actually 2 different ones and a riot shotgun. There were no questions, just a willingness to pay the $100 for ammo.

It must be a difference in state regulations.

The Gun Store in Las Vegas is always one of my favorite stops. Last time it was an MP5, a G3, and a SPAS 10. But they have a wall full of them to select from.

The Gun Store Website

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPro View Post
Weston man commits suicide at Lauderdale Lakes shooting range
October 15, 2010|By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel

A Weston man shot and killed himself Friday morning at the Arizona Shooting Range in Lauderdale Lakes, leaving behind a suicide note, authorities said.

The Broward Sheriff's Office identified the victim as a 47-year-old Weston man, but did not release his name.

The suicide occurred at about 10:45 a.m. at 4325 North State Road 7, said Veda Coleman, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

"He shot himself there at the gun range," Coleman said. "He did leave behind a note."
Thats my range

Its should be up to the range who they loan rental guns too but on the same token no law should ever be created for it. People who want to commit suicide will commit suicide I just don't understand why you would want to shoot yourself when you could OD on some relaxers or something.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #28

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

So..if you had a weapon on you he would have rented one to you?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #29

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Seriously, that is a pretty stupid law. There are easier ways to kill yourself that are cheaper than renting a firearm and buying ammo at their prices.
If you're planning to kill yourself, I would imagine that the price of the ammo is not really a concern....

Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
I rented a machine gun in Las Vegas by myself, actually 2 different ones and a riot shotgun. There were no questions, just a willingness to pay the $100 for ammo.

It must be a difference in state regulations.

The Gun Store in Las Vegas is always one of my favorite stops. Last time it was an MP5, a G3, and a SPAS 10. But they have a wall full of them to select from.

The Gun Store Website
Not to derail but im glad you mentioned this. I just got off the plane in vegas amd dont le av e till thursday. Im gonna check out the gun store while im here.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson