Suicide policy? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Suicide policy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Weston man commits suicide at Lauderdale Lakes shooting range
October 15, 2010|By Tonya Alanez, Sun Sentinel

A Weston man shot and killed himself Friday morning at the Arizona Shooting Range in Lauderdale Lakes, leaving behind a suicide note, authorities said.

The Broward Sheriff's Office identified the victim as a 47-year-old Weston man, but did not release his name.

The suicide occurred at about 10:45 a.m. at 4325 North State Road 7, said Veda Coleman, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

"He shot himself there at the gun range," Coleman said. "He did leave behind a note."

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A suicide happen at a range here in Michigan. I also remember a mother shooting her son and turning the gun on herself. It happens. How would you stop it? The gun range don't want the bad PR and the mess to clean up.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you want to end your life, that's one thing.

If you want to end your life on MY shooting range, which will result in my closing the range for days, dealing with cops, dealing with lawyers, getting a BIOHAZ crew in to clean up the mess you left on my range- no.

Besides, you endanger other people on the range, the gun you rented will be rusted by the time I get it back from the cops, and looking at the stains on the ceiling always makes me depressed.

Seriously- is the range going overboard? Yes. But there are likely reasons for it, and bottom line- it's THEIR range.
I agree 100%. Well said.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

seems like a reasonable policy. who wants the hassle of cleaning up the mess a piece of human debris leaves behind?? happened here in WI just north of me in milwaukee. guy walks in rents a gun offs his worthless self. range closed for several weeks tons of expense to clean it up. re-opens the range another loser comes in a week after re-open and does it again...

Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
seems like a reasonable policy. who wants the hassle of cleaning up the mess a piece of human debris leaves behind?? happened here in WI just north of me in milwaukee. guy walks in rents a gun offs his worthless self. range closed for several weeks tons of expense to clean it up. re-opens the range another loser comes in a week after re-open and does it again...
That range should seriously consider a remodel with some happier colors and a policy that they will have a horny stray dog desecrate any suicide corpses on the premises.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #16

A policy will have little effect on someone wanting to off themself. I would suggest having a designated enclosed area to prevent any stray rounds after exit and maybe a lockbox for notes...You could provide a head bag to keep the remains contained and for easier cleanup. A security cam should be installed as well to substantiate that suicide and not murder occurred.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I do not, and have no intent to go to an indoor range, just because I'm lucky enough to have better places to go.
There is another gun shop in the same town that I work, a few miles north of my store.
They have an indoor range.
I think they've had about 2 or 3 suicides within the last 6 or 7 years.
If I recall, at least one of the persons that comitted suicide did not rent the gun, he simply asked to see it, and when the guy behind the counter wasn't looking, pulled a bullet from his pocket, loaded the gun and....
Like I said, I have never used that indoor range, or any other.
I don't know if they have that policy.
I think it is kind of a stupid policy, but I do see where they're coming from.
As a gun shop employee, I hope I never see that happen in my store, or anywhere for that matter.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There has been a rash of suicides at gun ranges lately and I was unfortunate enough to be working during two of them. The second shooting happened days within the one year anniversary of the first incident. I live with both of those nightmare daily and would not ever wish it upon another human being.

We have had a range in the area quit renting firearms all together and I'm very leery of any stranger that comes in alone and rents a handgun. No more rose colored glasses for me.

For those of you, that think these people are better off dead for whatever reason, you can kiss my ass. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #19

Liked 1165 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 366

It's probably a policy just for liability purposes. Obviously it's not really a deterrent just a lawsuit shield.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That range should seriously consider a remodel with some happier colors and a policy that they will have a horny stray dog desecrate any suicide corpses on the premises.
its badger guns over in south milwaukee. its one of the better indoor ranges in this area too. i go there a lot in the winter.