Suicide policy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Suicide policy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suicide policy?

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, or if it's limited to this one range, or what:

I recently relocated for work. I decided to check out one of the local gun shops / indoor range. I walk in, see their very impressive selection of rental guns, and decide I'd like to try some of them out. I wait my turn, and the conversation goes something like this:

Him: Can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I'd like to try out that PPK on the range.
Him: (giving a funny look) Are you alone?
Me: Uh, yeah.
Him: Do you have a firearm on you?
Me: No.
Him: Well, then I can't let you rent a firearm.
Me: Um, excuse me?
Him: Our policy is that in order to rent one of our guns you need to be with another person, or you need to show me a firearm that you own. This is so that people do not rent a gun in order to commit suicide

(the reasoning, in case you can't figure it out, is that you won't kill yourself in front of a friend, and if you own a gun you wouldn't need to go to the range to do it)

Me: Are you being serious? What if I show you my CCW permit?
Him: Nope. CCW only proves that you're not a felon, not that you own a gun.

Everyone in there (customers included, probably 4-6 people) were looking at me like I was nuts for trying to rent a gun alone. One of the customers explained to me that there had been a couple of examples of people going to a public range, renting a gun, and putting it to their own heads.

I've never seen or heard of a policy like this before, but I'm fairly new to firearms. Is this common? By the end of the conversation I was getting pretty pissed at the guy, and I left vowing never to give them a cent of my business. Problem is, they're close, it's a pretty nice facility, and they seem nice otherwise (before trying to rent I spent a few minutes in the store part of the place).

BTW, I do own guns, I just didn't happen to have them with me at the time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenn17h View Post
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, or if it's limited to this one range, or what:

I recently relocated for work. I decided to check out one of the local gun shops / indoor range. I walk in, see their very impressive selection of rental guns, and decide I'd like to try some of them out. I wait my turn, and the conversation goes something like this:

Him: Can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I'd like to try out that PPK on the range.
Him: (giving a funny look) Are you alone?
Me: Uh, yeah.
Him: Do you have a firearm on you?
Me: No.
Him: Well, then I can't let you rent a firearm.
Me: Um, excuse me?
Him: Our policy is that in order to rent one of our guns you need to be with another person, or you need to show me a firearm that you own. This is so that people do not rent a gun in order to commit suicide

(the reasoning, in case you can't figure it out, is that you won't kill yourself in front of a friend, and if you own a gun you wouldn't need to go to the range to do it)

Me: Are you being serious? What if I show you my CCW permit?
Him: Nope. CCW only proves that you're not a felon, not that you own a gun.

Everyone in there (customers included, probably 4-6 people) were looking at me like I was nuts for trying to rent a gun alone. One of the customers explained to me that there had been a couple of examples of people going to a public range, renting a gun, and putting it to their own heads.

I've never seen or heard of a policy like this before, but I'm fairly new to firearms. Is this common? By the end of the conversation I was getting pretty pissed at the guy, and I left vowing never to give them a cent of my business. Problem is, they're close, it's a pretty nice facility, and they seem nice otherwise (before trying to rent I spent a few minutes in the store part of the place).

BTW, I do own guns, I just didn't happen to have them with me at the time.
I have never experienced it first hand but have heard about it. I believe it is common in California...anybody confirm this?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Get a Suicidal Tendancies tattoo. Show them that the next time you go and try to rent one. You did not ask if you could buy only one round, did you?

Seriously, that is a pretty stupid law. There are easier ways to kill yourself that are cheaper than renting a firearm and buying ammo at their prices.

To me, it seems like another misguided fear of guns law.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

If someone wants to commit suicide; let them...
It is just another way of adding a little chlorine to the gene pool...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Customer: "So, you won't let me rent one...Can I buy one then?"
Range Dude: "Shure, what are you looking for?"
Customer: "Something to carry for self defense to carry when I'm, you know; by myself!"

How damned stupid can people get.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

I have heard of that policy, too, from a friend who lives in California.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

If you want to end your life, that's one thing.

If you want to end your life on MY shooting range, which will result in my closing the range for days, dealing with cops, dealing with lawyers, getting a BIOHAZ crew in to clean up the mess you left on my range- no.

Besides, you endanger other people on the range, the gun you rented will be rusted by the time I get it back from the cops, and looking at the stains on the ceiling always makes me depressed.

Seriously- is the range going overboard? Yes. But there are likely reasons for it, and bottom line- it's THEIR range.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Seems silly, but kinda like was mentioned above, off yourself elsewhere please and thank you.

I don't think i would hold that against the range; show back up with a buddy and a target that you enjoy using.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it's their store/range, it's their prerogative to do so. Just go somewhere else I guess.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Had it happen a few months ago at a range here in Indianapolis. A guy went in rented a gun, went into the range area and shot himself. I can see them wanting to avoid dealing with that mess again.