Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Stupid things in our youth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My mothers dairy goats.

It was springtime tech school was out and my summer job as a hired hayfield hand started in a week, Mom had just planted some greenhouse started type flowers from some garden center, i found that her dairy goats were making a game of getting out of their pasture, they'd come to the flower patch and eat moms flowers, we'd been chasing them back and kept plugging holes the goats slipped through.
Id started throwing rocks at the goats, im a lousy thrower or rocks and the gravel in the drive was limited to smaller than grape size wash gravel, so id taken to using my old daisy red rider but my range was limited, then I found goats standing on my well cared for 1977 chevy montie carlo and i started shooting dairy goats with my crossman 760 pump master.
the goats started to developed large welts soon after.
I hadnt sat idle using any excuse to pop moms goats, id spent the better part of 2 days fixing up a new area the goats could graze with taller fences.
at chores while milking goats id noticed the welts had gone to the size of golf balls, id sliced one the goiters open to drain and squeezed out a greenish putty like infection with a rusty BB at its core.
that brought a end to shooting loose dairy goats with any sort of pellet or BB gun.
Shortly before moving the goats to the new diggs they gave my car another scuffing all over hood n trunk, so
Tried some old firecrackers id had stored in the garage
problem was i couldnt light and throw them far
then set on using bottle rockets but they were inaccurate, so i
tried using old piece of 1/2"electric conduit n shot them like a bazooka with help from my brother lighting n loading an me aiming turned into a pretty accurate way to shoot bottle rocket, then we ran out of the cheap paper wrapped rockets so all we had left were plastic body type rockets that whistled and made a rather loud report when they exploded amung
the goats would get scared of these (whistling moon travelers) way more than Id of thought they would streak back to the where they climbed over, and bunch up because they couldnt get back inside.
One the last rockets went off right next to the barn.
later that day i passed by the barn and noticed a red splotch on the barns white paint, looking closer i saw melted red plastic spatter from the bottle rocket detonating, that was why the goats were more scared of the plastic bodied bottle rockets, because they were getting splatterd with moulten plastic.
Soon after that i got the goat pasture finished with my brothers help and got the goats moved to a more secure place.
my brother and i had lots more fun/trouble with a fresh batch of them whisteling moon travelers.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-21-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #72
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2150 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I joined the Air Borne Division at the young age 6 years old! Being a little of a dare devil in my younger days. I was staying with my favorite Aunt and Uncle when I noticed my Aunts huge black umbrella setting by the garage door. SO thinking it would make an excellent parachute and I could be like a paratrooper if opened up. So I climbed up on the center of the gable of their garage opened the umbrella and began my descent. However, the umbrella turned inside out as I went crashing toward the ground. Didn't Work! God that hurt!!!! Not to mention getting in trouble over the umbrella! But like many here it is a wonder we survived.
The other thing later and a little older my cousins and I use to go swimming in the local gravel pit. All of us being proud of how long we could hold our breath and swim and having diving masks! We decided to hold on to a small bolder and jump off the ledge allowing the bolder to take us down quickly. It was a blast and we did it frequently. Wonder we didn't drown? Like I said it is a good thing one gets a little smarter as age comes on. A lot of us here wouldn't be here if we had continued to do the fun but stupid things we did. I am sure our guardian angels were worn out by the time we smartened up! Or did we?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #73
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6675 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 7938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
It was springtime tech school was out and my summer job as a hired hayfield hand started in a week, Mom had just planted some greenhouse started type flowers from some garden center, i found that her dairy goats were making a game of getting out of their pasture, they'd come to the flower patch and eat moms flowers, we'd been chasing them back and kept plugging holes the goats slipped through.
Id started throwing rocks at the goats, im a lousy thrower or rocks and the gravel in the drive was limited to smaller than grape size wash gravel, so id taken to using my old daisy red rider but my range was limited, then I found goats standing on my well cared for 1977 chevy montie carlo and i started shooting dairy goats with my crossman 760 pump master.
the goats started to developed large welts soon after.
I hadnt sat idle using any excuse to pop moms goats, id spent the better part of 2 days fixing up a new area the goats could graze with taller fences.
at chores while milking goats id noticed the welts had gone to the size of golf balls, id sliced one the goiters open to drain and squeezed out a greenish putty like infection with a rusty BB at its core.
that brought a end to shooting loose dairy goats with any sort of pellet or BB gun.
Shortly before moving the goats to the new diggs they gave my car another scuffing all over hood n trunk, so
Tried some old firecrackers id had stored in the garage
problem was i couldnt light and throw them far
then set on using bottle rockets but they were inaccurate, so i
tried using old piece of 1/2"electric conduit n shot them like a bazooka with help from my brother lighting n loading an me aiming turned into a pretty accurate way to shoot bottle rocket, then we ran out of the cheap paper wrapped rockets so all we had left were plastic body type rockets that whistled and made a rather loud report when they exploded amung
the goats would get scared of these (whistling moon travelers) way more than Id of thought they would streak back to the where they climbed over, and bunch up because they couldnt get back inside.
One the last rockets went off right next to the barn.
later that day i passed by the barn and noticed a red splotch on the barns white paint, looking closer i saw melted red plastic spatter from the bottle rocket detonating, that was why the goats were more scared of the plastic bodied bottle rockets, because they were getting splatterd with moulten plastic.
Soon after that i got the goat pasture finished with my brothers help and got the goats moved to a more secure place.
my brother and i had lots more fun/trouble with a fresh batch of them whisteling moon travelers.

Wow. I bet those goats weren't producing much milk during this time.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #74

Liked 286 Times on 193 Posts

Taped a 1/4 or 1/2stick to a softball size rock, lit it and submerged it in a keg tub full of water.
When it blew up, the bottom of the tub mushroomed out and the water spread everywhere....as everyone cheered we noticed the rock was gone.
Approx 5-6 seconds later we heard the rock crashing down through the trees at least 100 ft away.
There were friends, a few cars, and the house that could have been majorly damaged from the rock.
Good thing the tub was destroyed or someone may have tried it again....haha

Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #75

Liked 306 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was working with a carpenter awhile back that was missing 2 of his fingers. I thought maybe he got too close to a power saw but turns out he blew 'em off with a homemade pipe bomb when he was 14.

when I was 11 or 12, a friend & I tried to blow up a WD-40 can in a fire. 10 minutes after we threw it in, our small fire went out. we waited another 10 minutes just to be sure & still nothing happened. we figured it was safe, took about 3 steps from our cover & it blew. it's a good thing it just blew the bottom out & didn't send shrapnel everywhere.

one winter when I was 16, i put my mom's car in the ditch on a snow covered gravel road. dad & grandpa came to dig & pull it out & I got the 3rd degree from my dad about my mistake. I rode back with my grandpa after we got it out & he could see I was a bit down about the whole thing, he said to me "don't feel bad, your dad did way dumber sh*t than this when he was your age."

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Axxe55 Likes This