Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T (Thats not +P!)

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital -
(at 6:00 pm Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough...

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Thank God for giving us the sense to remember the NEW '4' steps, STR+T. Read and Learn!

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking four simple questions:
S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE Coherently. (i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

+T *Stick out Your Tongue. (If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that can be an indication of a stroke.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this diagnostic instruction shares it with 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved. (Every tenth poster, you're welcome!)

I have done my part. Will you?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Cane.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks!

Just to add that the main thing to look for is an uneven (left vs right side) expression on all of these.

The smile, hand and tongue being the most obvious...but the speech which may actually be manifesting as part of the tongue problem can possibly be due to other things that got affected in the brain during the stroke.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Thats easy to remember.
Thanks, Cane!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Default If only...

This is great advice. I had a small stroke about 15 years ago, the only noticeable symptom was slurred speech. My speech is still affected. Stoke is forever!

Proper diagnosis and care is vital. It's up to everyone to learn this and other simple test to recognize and address critical health matters (just as it is critical for us to know what to do with a bullet or knife wound!)

Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cane, I'm glad you are trying to help others with your information but you're starting to scare me slightly.....are you that old?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #7

Default Not that old

I am past 60, but when I got sick I was still in my 40's. It goes to show you that stroke can happen at [U]any[U] age.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Cane, I'm glad you are trying to help others with your information but you're starting to scare me slightly.....are you that old?
I'm 9.

In dog years.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 2-Year Anniversary this Month

In just a couple of weeks I will hit my 2-year anniversary since suffering my first stroke. I wish the emergency room doctor had read your list before I arrived there at the hospital. He was quite baffled by my condition because my strength was still good. People don't always lose their strength from a stroke. In my case, I had severe double vision, slurred speech, horrible balance, and extreme nausia. For some reason, this was not interpreted as a stroke initially. I was 49 at that time, and I have since suffered one more stroke. My case has baffled some of the world's top neurologists at Mayo Clinic and Barrow Neurological Institute, as they really cannot identify the reasons why these have occurred. God has been merciful, as I am able to function pretty well, all considered. My favorite therapy...target shooting. Even my doctor agrees that it is good hand-eye therapy. For some reason, though, my insurance won't cover the ammo...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 521 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 2278

Default Stroke

Thanks for the post.
I sent it along to everyone in the address book.
I to suffered a small stroke a few years back.
One of the symptoms,
my left arm went numb and had the same feeling as when the blood pressure cuff is first inflated.
Went to the E.R. and spent the night.

And as my Father died from a stroke,

can't be too carefull