Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/stroke-remember-1st-three-letters-s-t-r-t-26178/)

canebrake 04-17-2010 05:35 PM

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T (Thats not +P!)

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital -
(at 6:00 pm Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough...

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Thank God for giving us the sense to remember the NEW '4' steps, STR+T. Read and Learn!

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking four simple questions:
S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE Coherently. (i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

+T *Stick out Your Tongue. (If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that can be an indication of a stroke.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this diagnostic instruction shares it with 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved. (Every tenth poster, you're welcome!)

I have done my part. Will you?

CA357 04-17-2010 06:01 PM

Thanks Cane.

Poink88 04-17-2010 06:17 PM

Thanks!

Just to add that the main thing to look for is an uneven (left vs right side) expression on all of these.

The smile, hand and tongue being the most obvious...but the speech which may actually be manifesting as part of the tongue problem can possibly be due to other things that got affected in the brain during the stroke.

General_lee 04-17-2010 08:19 PM

Thats easy to remember.
Thanks, Cane!

hnealg 05-07-2010 12:51 AM

If only...

This is great advice. I had a small stroke about 15 years ago, the only noticeable symptom was slurred speech. My speech is still affected. Stoke is forever!

Proper diagnosis and care is vital. It's up to everyone to learn this and other simple test to recognize and address critical health matters (just as it is critical for us to know what to do with a bullet or knife wound!)

spittinfire 05-07-2010 01:31 AM

Cane, I'm glad you are trying to help others with your information but you're starting to scare me slightly.....are you that old?

hnealg 05-07-2010 02:01 AM

Not that old

I am past 60, but when I got sick I was still in my 40's. It goes to show you that stroke can happen at [U]any[U] age.

canebrake 05-07-2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 281737)
Cane, I'm glad you are trying to help others with your information but you're starting to scare me slightly.....are you that old?

I'm 9.

In dog years.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ns/muttley.gif

KMO 05-07-2010 05:40 PM

2-Year Anniversary this Month

In just a couple of weeks I will hit my 2-year anniversary since suffering my first stroke. I wish the emergency room doctor had read your list before I arrived there at the hospital. He was quite baffled by my condition because my strength was still good. People don't always lose their strength from a stroke. In my case, I had severe double vision, slurred speech, horrible balance, and extreme nausia. For some reason, this was not interpreted as a stroke initially. I was 49 at that time, and I have since suffered one more stroke. My case has baffled some of the world's top neurologists at Mayo Clinic and Barrow Neurological Institute, as they really cannot identify the reasons why these have occurred. God has been merciful, as I am able to function pretty well, all considered. My favorite therapy...target shooting. Even my doctor agrees that it is good hand-eye therapy. For some reason, though, my insurance won't cover the ammo...:cool:

shadecorp 05-08-2010 05:34 PM

Stroke

Thanks for the post.
I sent it along to everyone in the address book.
I to suffered a small stroke a few years back.
One of the symptoms,
my left arm went numb and had the same feeling as when the blood pressure cuff is first inflated.
Went to the E.R. and spent the night.

And as my Father died from a stroke,

can't be too carefull