Stray Bullets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Stray Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Stray Bullets

Stray Bullets

I am very safety conscious about firearms so it concerns me if I do something wrong. I was raking leaves in the front yard last week. As I was shoveling them out of the gutter and into the trash can a 9mm cartridge rolls out of the pile. WTF! I pick it up and check and it looks like one of the reloads from my range. It was scared up like it had been getting kicked around and run over in the street or driveway. I had not shot my nine for a couple months so if it was from me it had been out there for awhile. I guess it fell out of my pocket as I was getting out of the car after a range trip.
I have found rounds before in pockets or in gear bags that were strays and needed to get put back into the ammo cabinet. Once I even found a cartridge in the washing machine after I ran a load of my clothes. But finding that one in the street really made me think about being more careful.

So has anyone else had strays show up in strange places?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Are you sure it's yours? Back when I lived in AZ i would find casings of all kinds in and around my neighbors yard. I never could figure out why he was so careless, even if they were empties.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Are you sure it's yours?
What he said; i found a half dozen .25 rounds on the porch one morning in Memphis. I didn't own a .25, nor did my roomate.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Once I was drivin' home from the gun store after pickin' up a box of .40, apparently I took a turn to hard or something and it spilled. I collected all the ammo I could find and put it back in there but was still about 10 rounds short. I'm still not sure where they are. I found 6 of 'em when I was cleanin' out my car to put it in storage.

My guess is they're jammed so far down in the back seat cushions with a whole bunch of other **** and that if I ever get in a car accident I might get shot in the back too.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Stuff like that will scare you, especially when you start thinking about the possible consequences, like kids finding the rounds and maybe getting hurt. Nobody's immune to mistakes. The ones that don't kill you make you more careful.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Not sure it's mine but I don't see any of my nieghbors as shooter's. And to have a similer round as the ones I use dropped right in front of my driveway? I think I have to own this one.

So no one else has pulled thier change out of thier pocket at the store only to have a 45 shell drop to the floor?

No bid deal in Texas I guess... but here in Califreekinfornia.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Not sure it's mine but I don't see any of my nieghbors as shooter's.
Not one of my neighbors would expect me to be a shooter, either. I'm an older lady, having raised the kids and now living alone. I guarantee you no one in my neighborhood would suspect me of finding this new interest in shooting within the past year.

I'm still learning terminology so I don't know if the cartridge you found was an intact one with bullet and powder in it or was it just the empty brass.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #8

Grabed this from Wikki for you.

A modern cartridge consists of the following:
1. the bullet itself, which serves as the projectile;
2. the case, which holds all parts together;
3. the propellant, for example gunpowder or cordite;
4. the rim, part of the casing used for loading;
5. the primer, which ignites the propellant.

bulletfixed1.png  

Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Jo, you obviously have too much ammunition if you're throwing it around like that. It would be best if you send it all to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Jo, you obviously have too much ammunition if you're throwing it around like that. It would be best if you send it all to me.
Cali DOJ would probably call that some kind of illegal transfer if he didn't get your fingerprints and DNA first.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.