Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Storing a gun at home safely.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Storing a gun at home safely.

I searched for athread like this and couldn't find one so sorry in advanced if this is a re post.

I live in a small apartment so I keep my gun at my parents they have a locker. Now like I said space is limited here so a locker or safe is out of the question. Now on to the issues, my daughter. She is 19 months. there are a lot of different options but being at only 22 I'm still a young gun and see what are the best options in my situation. There are locking cases which are still big and bulky. I know there are trigger locks, and cable locks to go threw the action. so what do you think is the best way to safely store a gun with very limited space?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-way-store-home-defense-54387/

Some good ideas in this thread...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

They also make small storage gun safes that are like a lock box. They have a finger recognition device in them that all the person needs to do is put his or her fingers on the finger pad and it unlocks. You could keep it on a lower shelf or drawer in or on your night stand. To totally restrict access to the weapon by use of the need to unlock a gun cable with a key should a self defense home protection arise, you might as well not have one. You couldn't get access to it in time. Consider if you are home it is going to probably be a sudden home invasion of sorts or a burglar during the night! As far as the little one, at the present time they could not gain access to a lot of areas where you could safely keep your weapon at this time. Like a closet shelf in a closet beside your bed or other areas that would not be available to the little one. Later could be another issue as they get older. But education for children is the most important objective. I was in Law Enforcement for almost 30 years and loaded weapons around were common place at our house. Not once did I have a problem with the children. I educated and took the suspense and curiosity out of the factor! Old saying Curiosity Kills the Cat! Same is true with children and guns! As far as theft anything less than a safe is ineffective anyway whether cable lock or small security box. So not a consideration.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Being an owner that was the first thing I looked into was educating children. I have a 6 year old niece and thats why I looked into it. But being my gun is a shotgun it's harder to hide. I'll look at the other thread now. Thanks for input guys.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Being a shotgun that is another issue there. Depending on what model and action it is also may vary techniques for safe hiding the weapon with availability on a moments notice. I have a double barrel hanging over my fireplace and then have a beer stein on a shelf which has a flip lid on it. I keep slugs and double OO buck in the Stein readily available. But no one but the family knows where the shells are and for that matter how to break the double barrel open!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My step dad has a break action and it tok me a bit to figure that out. This really isn't a home defense situation gun as this is my hunting gun. I was thinking about a cable lock threw the action and keep it in the case in my closet would suffice and Get a small locking cabinet for my shells. That way no one would be able to close the action if they got a hold of shells. I got a lot of home defense ideas from that post though and keeping them in mind when I get my beretta 9mm.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8626 Times on 3736 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

For a pump shotgun, if you need to go cheap for storage- find the wall stud in the closet. Set two large screw eyes into the stud about 2 inches apart. Run a cable lock through the open action, through both screw eyes, and lock it.

Why two? You can unscrew one, but not two with the lock thru both of them. Not the highest security storage in the world, but better than nothing.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's a good idea. And thank you for fixing the title. I know I'm getting a cable lock mostly because if ammunition and the gun ever do come together, the slide won't close. And I heard if a gun is dropped on the butt of the stock it could go off.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp