Squib load in a firefight? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Squib load in a firefight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 106 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I can only say that a squib in the middle of a firefight is Nature's way of saying this is NOT a career path for you.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6729 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
No personal experience, but my best guess is that you would not notice, think there was another problem, and chamber and fire another round. It has never happened to me in any circumstance, but I hear it can be overlooked or mis-diangnosed, even when target shooting.
This. That's why the military teaches tap rack bang. Sometimes it shoots free sometimes not. Its a risk that command level is willing to take with your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
This is why plastic guns are a bad idea. I'd rather have a nice heavy piece of steel in my hand that could at least be used for club.
Cept folks tend to leave heavy steel guns at home... that's why poly is popular. The odds of needing to pistol whip a fool as a civvy are prolly on order of winning a lottery or three.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #23

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

A guy in my squad at my last uspsa match had a squib load,under normal circumstances you will know something is up when you pull the trigger on a squib,makes a certain sound that makes you think "hold up,something's wrong". Luckily both the shooter and the SO caught it. The bullet was caught just at the end of the barrel halfway stuck out,like a turtle head lol. Now in a firefight when your senses are in overload I doubt you will notice it,and will likely put another behind it. I've heard of instances where it just put a real nice pressure ring in the barrel where the two bullets impacted before exiting the gun,and the gun still retained good accuracy. I think that's about the best you could hope for.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #24

Liked 3198 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 2962

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Cept folks tend to leave heavy steel guns at home... that's why poly is popular. The odds of needing to pistol whip a fool as a civvy are prolly on order of winning a lottery or three.
So, about the same odds as needing a gun in the first place.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6729 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
So, about the same odds as needing a gun in the first place.
Well a bit worse. Since you would have to need a gun expend your ammo and the aggressor closed to hand to hand and continued the fight. But not by much.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #26

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

I'm surprised. Not one person suggested cursing! Either in French or English at the weapon or the people trying to kill you.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I always carry quality factory ammo for social interaction, but reload my own practice ammo. I've never loaded a squib myself, but one fine summer day, I bought a box of reloads from a guy who ran a gun store/shooting range, and proceeded to attempt to practice with them. By the time I'd had to use my cleaning rod to punch a total of seven (yes, seven) squib loads out of my barrel (one at a time, not all at once ), I took the box with the remaining rounds back to the counter, and made a suggestion of what he might do with them, and have never bought any more reloads since. But they make a distinctive sound, more like a muffled "pop" rather than a loud bang. I was glad it happened on the practice range instead of in a fight for my life. By the time I'd gotten something to punch the slug out of the barrel, I'd have been silently lying on the pavement waiting for my body bag. Since then, I've always carried a BUG, too.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 03-05-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
How would you handle this? You're in a firefight ''bang'' ''bang'' ''bang'' ''pop'' you have a squib load, bullet lodged in your barrel. If you do try clearing the malfunction using the ''tap rack bang'' method you could injure yourself or those around you but what else can you do if youre in a firefight?

Seems like it would suck if you were soldier and this happened in the heat of battle.
Use my backup.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #29

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Soldier question (wisecrack aside):
Do privates even carry a BUG? I thought privates were given rifles and officers were given pistols. That their ‘back up’ firearm was each other. If they carry both, that means carrying multiple caliber magazines & ammo as well, right?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Soldier question (wisecrack aside):

Do privates even carry a BUG? I thought privates were given rifles and officers were given pistols. That their ‘back up’ firearm was each other. If they carry both, that means carrying multiple caliber magazines & ammo as well, right?

Depends on the job of the soldier. Some have both a rifle and an m9 most don't though it's usually just the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk