Squib load in a firefight? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Squib load in a firefight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I know that we were extensively taught about squibs in Basic rifle marksmanship except they called them pop no kicks. I was luck to have several individually assigned weapons that I carried everywhere so I could switch to something else not every soldier has a secondary weapon. Depending on the type of unit you are in it is very likely you will just have an M16/M4. I mean I guess it is situational if you have a secondary or tertiary weapon use that. If not and a buddies rifle is laying there cause he was wounded use that. If you have someone who is carrying a secondary grab that from them and stay in the fight. Is there an unmanned crew served weapon nearby hop in that and charlie mike. Are the enemy close enough for hand to hand? Use my e tool or knife and hope I kill them first and relieve them of the weapon they are carrying. If you are in a relatively safe fighting position with others keeping up fire grab your cleaning kit and run the rod down the barrel. I mean the options are endless. FWIW I have never seen nor heard of this happening in combat.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #12

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Tap Rack BOOM !!!!!

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Defensive maneuver:
1. Quickly get to a sitting position, with your knees bent.
2. Keeping your back straight, bend forward from the hips.
3. Grab your ankles, and
4. Kiss your a$$ goodbye.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

Liked 2518 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 2416

This is why plastic guns are a bad idea. I'd rather have a nice heavy piece of steel in my hand that could at least be used for club.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
This is why plastic guns are a bad idea. I'd rather have a nice heavy piece of steel in my hand that could at least be used for club.
shoot I would jack you up with my M4 especially if it was already inop I would'nt care about a bent buffer tube I would just be like "BUTTSTROKE TO THE HEAD, MOVE" just like in basic. Worst case scenario my e tool was always sharp and i could damn near decapitate someone using that

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Well the firefights I have been in there was no shortage of 'weapons'. If one of your guys is down use his. If you are at CQ use one of theirs.
Frags are a last resort, but they do work well if you have the guts to cook them off !
I had a 45 with two extra mags on me even while I carried a 16.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

If I were lucky enough to NOTICE the squib load:

1) Seek better cover
2) Assess (are more weapons available? If this is a civilian defensive shooting, try to disengage - I probably will never carry a BUG as a civilian)

Always have clean socks.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The most important part of this is to recognize the symptoms of a squib load. That may be a real problem in a firefight. I carry a BUG, but I don't know if I'd recognize the low report and low recoil of a squib load if I were rapid-firing quickly enough to stop the next trigger pull in time. I hope I would.
Maybe the answer is to slow down and carefully aim the shots, which would allow time to react to a squib load. Also, one careful and accurate shot beats 5 panicky hurried shots any day. I hope my efforts in practice can be carried over to a real event if it ever happens.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 03-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
The most important part of this is to recognize the symptoms of a squib load. That may be a real problem in a firefight. I carry a BUG, but I don't know if I'd recognize the low report and low recoil of a squib load if I were rapid-firing quickly enough to stop the next trigger pull in time. I hope I would.
Maybe the answer is to slow down and carefully aim the shots, which would allow time to react to a squib load. Also, one careful and accurate shot beats 5 panicky hurried shots any day. I hope my efforts in practice can be carried over to a real event if it ever happens.
You should be only shooting if you have a 'target' to begin with!!!
If you are in the 'spray and pray' mode it will not matter if you have a weapons malfunction anyway!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You should be only shooting if you have a 'target' to begin with!!!
If you are in the 'spray and pray' mode it will not matter if you have a weapons malfunction anyway!
Agreed. I've not been in a firefight as a civilian, and make every effort to avoid such. I do carry a BUG, and would use it if I recognized a squib load. Your point is well taken, I've been concerned about that and worked to be able to slow down and control my shots, especially since reading about the incidents in which the NYPD officers sprayed-n-prayed and hit a bunch of innocent bystanders.