Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Speed vs Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiamond13 View Post
Are there any hand eye exercises one can do to improve accuracy, say, when you're waiting for a bus, or even sitting on a bus?
Well, yes, as a matter of fact there are. However, such practice drills tend to make the other bus riders really really nervous.

Seriously, if you want to develop your hand/eye coordination there are several things that you can do. First, you need to determine which one of your eyes is the, 'master eye'.

An easy way to do this is to raise a finger in front of your nose and, then, exactly point it at a small object across the room. Now, close one eye. If the object remains at the end of your finger then the open eye is the master. If, however, the object jumps to one side, then, the eye you just closed is the master eye.

Now that you know which eye is the master, you can begin working on developing your trigger control and point shooting skills. The easiest way to do this is to use a pistol laser. (You don't want to do this in public!) If you can't afford a pistol laser, then, all you need is a large (say, 5' high x 3' wide) white paper target. Draw and fire at anyone of several preselected spots on this target. If you miss with the first shot, try firing a couple of immediate follow-up shots and see if you can walk your bullets' POI's into where you want them to be.

Don't make the mistake of attempting to shoot for accuracy; shoot, instead, for THE SIZE of the general group. What you're actually working on is to reduce the size of any group you fire. This type of pistol training develops your proprioceptive skills. (This is a fancy way to say, 'physical reflexes and spatial perception'.)

While you're learning it is a good idea to draw several times without firing for every other time you actually draw AND fire at the same time. Of course I've practiced like this for many years; but, by constantly following this procedure, I finally became a much better than average point shooter. One of the tricks to this is to start in close at, say, 5 - 7 1/2 yards. Continue to work in close like this until your groups are what they really should be with no, (or very few) 'fliers'. Move back as you improve.

Personally, I've never found a good reason to attempt to point shoot much beyond 15 yards; and, oh yeah, make sure you never practice with anything other than an OTB holster that is securely fastened to your belt - An open top Kydex or polymer model holster is highly recommended!

There is another, 'poor man's way' to practice point shooting: Get yourself a small flashlight with a focused beam. Raise it quickly from your side and attempt to light up small nearby objects. (Again, I wouldn't bother people at the bus stop with any of this!)

Finally, when you're at home, try to get in two or three 15 minute dry firing sessions each day. The world is full of pistol instructors who will tell you, over and over again, to watch the front sight. I will tell you to learn how to control it, instead. In order to do this you must, first, develop the correct grip. Which, of course, brings up the intriguing question: How do you develop a correct grip?

I've got 50 years of pistol shooting and training experience that says if you don't know how to control the pistol's backstrap then you're going to have a really hard time trying to watch that front sight. (And, at today's ammo prices, I don't even want to imagine how many thousands of rounds you're going to have to fire before you begin to subconsciously appreciate what I've just said to you.)

All the trigger control in the world ain't going to do you a bit of good if you haven't, first, learned how to control the pistol's backstrap. It's because of this type of experience and perception that I've been able to take crappy sub par pistol shooters, spend several hours with them, and turn these people into pistoleros that, either, showed some real promise or whom I could genuinely admire.