Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Some things you might not have thought about (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/some-things-you-might-not-have-thought-about-37910/)

DarinCraft 02-04-2011 06:07 AM

Some things you might not have thought about

I understand that everyone here who uses a gun as part of their self defense regiment tries to be as prepared as possible, however there are always things people might forget. As a police officer the first thing I was taught by my FTO was to always think about what could happen. "If I come up with a situation, I expect you to logically think it out and come up with a plan of action. This includes what you will say on the radio as to what is happening and where you are." Over the next several weeks I was with him he would constantly quiz me with different situations. One that stood out in my head actually happened years later and his training is what safely got me through it. The point of this is to encourage you to think, not from confrontation to your interview with LE. But before it happens. Where are you going to go? Where is everyone? What are the backdrops? Where is cover? Concealment? Know your surroundings. Know the threat is there before he even sees you.

I have some experience and have ran into some different situations that if the people were more prepared it would have happened differently. Here is a list of some things to consider.

First, bedside self defense. Many people have a long gun next to their bed for when something goes bump and a night stand gun. But most of the cases I investigated when the victims were sleeping especially with women, they were awoken by the suspect already on top of them. In this case, the long gun is no longer a viable option and that gun in your night stand is out of reach because you are pinned on you back.

Secondly, people always ask the question about ammo and over penetration, but some never give consideration to the layout of their house. Consider this, you wake up for whatever reason and you see someone standing in your doorway. You turn on the light to see an assailant raise a weapon and you shoot. But wait, what is behind behind him? Is it your kids room or an exterior wall? If at all possible, give this a little planning. Maybe rearrange your bedroom furniture so if you have to shoot at the doorway or the foot of the bed, you will be shooting into a closet or toward an unoccupied area. My bed is arranged so if I do, I will shoot into a linen closet that is loaded with towels and sheets.

Third. Classic TV situation. You hear a noise and your wife does too. Sounds like it came from the kitchen. You grab your gun and your light and exit the room. You walk down the hallway and shine a light into the living room toward the kitchen...but wait, how many mistakes did you just make?

1. You should have armed your significant other and told them to call LE if something happens. Give them a safe word, so if for some reason when you come into the room, they know it's you.

2. How many rooms did you walk passed without checking them? Just because the noise came from the kitchen does not mean the suspect has not moved into another room. Or maybe there are multiple suspects and one is in the room you passed. You just pinned yourself down. Own your territory, do not pass anything unless you are positive it is clear.

3. Never blindly turn on a light, you immediately give your position away and if you do not aim it at the suspect and see him, he now knows your there and you still haven't seen him. Slow it down, sit there undetected and wait for him to make another noise. You never know, his partner you never knew was off to your right might make a noise. Then shine the light at the suspect or where you heard the noise come from.

Additionally, this is a point of contention with LE. I feel you should never turn on room lights because you destroy your night vision, you give your location away and the suspect knows your awake. They will then either decide to leave or hide and wait for you.

Have a statement prepared in your head. If you stumble and stammer, you have lost command presence. My statement is the same as when I was working. "Police Department. Let me see your hands." This also lets your spouse know there is someone in the house and they should call LE. Tell your spouse as soon as the 911 operator answers the phone, give them your address FIRST. That way if you get disconnected or you are calling from a cell they can rewind the recording and at the very least they know where to send officers. Also have her describe you to the operator and tell them you are armed.

Don't ever stand near a window. His friend might be outside looking in and drawing up sights on you. Never chase the guy if he runs out of your house for the same reason. His buddy might be waiting.

Fourth, if you are watching TV at night and something happens outside, whether it be a loud noise or someone knocking on your door. First thing to do is shut off the TV, shut off the inside lights to take away and outsiders advantage of a clear sight into your house. Then turn on the outside light and look around. If you see someone, talk to them with a commanding tone. If you don't, never go out the front door. If you feel compelled to investigate, go out the back and sneak around the front. Never give anyone an advantage like coming out the door they are expecting you to.

Lastly this is something I worked out with my wife because I was not home very much and often times got home late. There were times when we first got married she was very afraid to be home alone and would be petrified when I got home, because she didn't know if it was me or not. So after I trained her how to shoot, I told her if she is ever home alone and someone comes into the room and she thinks it's an intruder, put a round into the carpet toward a piece of furniture. Most suspects when they hear a shot are not going to stick around to see if you're a good shot.

I know that last one will get some criticism, but in my mind that works the best for our situation.

Anyway, I hope this helps some people with their personal training and safety.
Darin

dunerunner 02-04-2011 06:28 AM

Well presented Darin. This is exactly what everyone needs to know and why Bond always had the Baretta under his pillow.

CA357 02-04-2011 06:41 AM

Thanks, food for thought there.

DarinCraft 02-04-2011 06:51 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taken the time to read it.

IGETEVEN 02-04-2011 01:11 PM

Thanks DC. :cool:

http://shop.advanceweb.com/images/pr...ook_NW_med.jpg

Car54 02-04-2011 01:14 PM

"If you feel compelled to investigate, go out the back and sneak around the front. Never give anyone an advantage like coming out the door they are expecting you to."

Note: excellent advice BUT, be aware that sometimes the BG will go the back after getting no response from the front door, or there might be one or more BG's waiting in the rear to see if the front BG gets a response or not in the front.

Also, Darin implied that while checking the house after a noise was heard, no lights, check every room as you pass, etc, also, it's quite normal to say out loud "who's there" as you check. This gives: (A) the BG(s) have time to run out which is okay, or (B) they know your location.

IGETEVEN 02-04-2011 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 436900)
BUT, be aware that sometimes the BG will go to the back after getting no response from the front door, or there might be one or more BG's waiting in the rear to see if the front BG gets a response or not in the front.

And then there are those of us who choose to just sit and wait......

Mema 02-04-2011 04:14 PM

Great posting. I enjoyed reading it and it made me think of things that I had not considered in awhile because I am not the one that is supposed to take care of it but you made me think that I do need to consider everything.:)

jamesb 02-04-2011 06:01 PM

Well said!

dunerunner 02-04-2011 06:08 PM

An alarm system is always helpful. One set to indicate a breach of any exterior door or window. Motion detectors are almost useless unless they break a major window to gain access, the I would hope to hear that! Motion sensors are good for when you are not at home and pets aren't roaming about the home.

Now, if I could just figure out how to have it engage 3" dead bolt locks into the headder and floor on each door so I have time to get dressed, shave and get my gun!! :D