Sobering night at range - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Sobering night at range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
It's really easy to look back on the events and say should have done something...
That's the whole point of analyzing accidents... to go back and figure out what you could have done differently.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
... to go back and figure out what you could have done differently.
...and to implement changes to policy/procedure that prevent/mitigate the bad thing from ever happening again...

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default safety

I have had exactly 2 accidental discharges in my life. The first one was at the range and we were all clearing our handguns per the range masters commands. I dropped the magazine into my hand and laid it on the bench. I then pulled the slide back and then pointed the pistol at the ground and pulled the trigger. BANG The bullet went into the ground in front of me and about one foot from my toes. What happened??? The near as I can figure out is the cartridge did not extract. But I have always pointed any gun down range or towards the ground when I am dropping the hammer. You better believe that I check the chamber now besides dropping the magazine.

The second AD I still have not figured out. Son Trent and I were at the range most of the day. We were shooting military rifles, from AR15's to Garands and Springfield 03's. When we were ready to leave we cleared all rifles and that included looking down the loading port and putting our little finger in the chamber. when we got home we put the guns away in my walk- in vault and I closed all the bolts before putting them on the rack. As I closed each rifle I looked in the open bolt and assured myself that there was no rounds in it. I closed the bolt on a Springfield 03 and pulled the trigger to let the main spring down. BOOM The bullet went through the steel roof of the vault through a steel heat duct through the floor in the hall way and through the wall that went into our bedroom. It was angling at about a 45deg. It hit something in the wall and then it hit one of my ties on a rack. That turned it and it went up though the front wall of my closet and into the ceiling of our bedroom. When I recovered from the shock I rushed up stairs to see if anyone was hit. Lt. Linda showed me where the bullet came through the floor and I followed it's path to the hole in the ceiling. Checking inside my closet I could see the hanger and my ties on the floor. Picking it up I couldn't believe my eyes. The bullet had hit my NRA tie clip and that was what turned it to the vertical direction (also destroyed the tie clasp) If it hadn't been for the NRA that bullet would have put a hole through every shirt and pair of pants in my closet. Other than holes in floors and walls every thing in the house escaped safely. My son and I went down to the Vault and checked the rifle and sure enough there was a fired cartidge in the chamber. How it got there is still a puzzle to both of us. Because we both had checked the rifles at the range and I had checked each one as I put them away.???????
As for the AD at your range I can see it was caused not only by not checking the magazine and removing it but no one should be carring anything in their hands and a firearm too.

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Last edited by sarge_257; 04-08-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hello partdeux-

Is your range a private club or is your club just using someone else's range?

Are there SO's from your club or the range there?

Sounds like your range needs more SO's and to Rufus and Rick's points procedures should be followed from SO's instructions and verification to clear the weapons, not just everyone's trust.

I also started shooting IDPA this year and feel much safer there than I do at most ranges (even with all of the "activity") because of the procedures mandated that an SO is present with the shooter at a all times and verifies the weapon is clear with the hammer down before being re-holstered.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1040 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Private club, and I have no idea if there's any formal range officers. I'm new enough to firearms in general to know I have seen some issues, but not knowledgeable enough to have the correct answers.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I'm not that familiar with shooting in private clubs either other than my IDPA club which has strict enforcement of safety by Safety Officers (SO's).

I would think any private club would also want to use SO's (can just be the experienced club memebers) to enforce the club's documented safety procedures?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Private club, and I have no idea if there's any formal range officers. I'm new enough to firearms in general to know I have seen some issues, but not knowledgeable enough to have the correct answers.
in regards to what some of the other members have said to impliment changes, maybe look into some very responsible members of the club to be dedicated range officers. maybe this is the problem, that everyone is assuming everyone else is being safe.

with two different occurences happening at the same club, i would be highly concerned about safety as there seems to be some type of failure here. one nothing happened, one now has left someone shot in the leg. the next one if there aren't some type of changes made and quickly could leave someone hurt much worse or dead.

as Rufus pointed out, not just rules to be followed, but set in place procedures and make sure everyone adheres to them. if these informal shooting meets are held every friday night, then a safety meeting and going through a set of procedures should be done before the first shot is ever fired.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #18

Here is what a local club uses for rules for it's public bowling pin shoot:

“Firearm Safety is Priority One”

(1) Your firearm needs to be in your holster or carrying case unloaded with magazine removed.

(2) There will be no handling of firearms behind the firing line or in the parking lot area.

(3) When called, you will come to the firing line and only then with directions from the safety officers/match personnel will you remove your firearm from the holster or carrying case and place it on the bench.

(4) You are allowed to load your magazines behind the firing line and it is suggested that you have two magazines for the match.

Anyone that is found not complying with 1, 2 & 3 above will be asked to leave the range and club property.

Key above is no firearm handling behind the firing line and all firearms must be cased or holstered.

Last edited by chasbo00; 04-10-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1427 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I personally would count that as strike two towards maybe I should find a new place to shoot.

This range sounds like a real clusterf*ck to me. Too many people, too much crap going on, everybody trying to watch everybody else but nobody watching themselves. If I were the O&O I'd think about cutting membership down to a manageable level and beefing up range safety/supervision. I might lose a little money now but it's better then losing my shirt in a lawsuit.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1040 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
This range sounds like a real clusterf*ck to me. Too many people, too much crap going on, everybody trying to watch everybody else but nobody watching themselves.
We were unable to attend last week due to family issues.

This week, it was made very clear that we were persona non grata and it was suggested we never come back. Apparently making me the false flag makes them feel better.