Most first time handgun buyers opt for a semi-auto, so I will focus on this type of handgun. For those new to shooting, snap caps are an important tool for semi-auto handgun training.
1. They are the exact size of real ammo, and safe for your magazines.
2. They are normally colored to avoid mistaking for real ammo.
3. They allow you to safely practice loading, reloading and slide manipulation.
4. They allow you to safely practice failures to fire (bad ammo) and misfeeds (magazine issues).
5. They allow you to safely practice self-defense scenarios at the range and in the home.
6. They offer a safe dry fire method to practice trigger pull and hand eye coordination. Some guns can be damaged by continual dry fire without snap caps.
7. You can alternate between live ammo and snap caps to work on flinching, gun control and failures to fire.
8. Cheaper then using real ammo for basic skills, and snap caps are reusable. I paid around 20 dollars for five rounds of both the .40 and 9mm.
Snap caps also help in training with bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles and revolvers. You will find snap caps for most calibers.
Please feel free to add more suggestions for snap cap usage, or ask questions.....