Snap caps=cheap insurance
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Snap caps=cheap insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Snap caps=cheap insurance

I was at the local range to pick up some snap caps for the M&P and one of the SRO's at the counter told me a short story. The had thought snap caps were worthless but he recently broke the firing pin of his handgun. He now has to buy and replace his firing pin AND buy some snap caps. But one thing he said is that he dry fired around 300-400 times a day. So next time you have a dry fire session or see snap caps at the store, you might consider buying some.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16514

400 times a day?!

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1045 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 229

I would have a tough time believing that he dry fired 3-400 times a day, AND that his dry firing caused a problem.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If he is accurate, and if he means every day, that's a minimum of 2,100 falls a week. Dry fire or loaded, you're going to have failures eventually.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

He does work at the range though. I think he trainer, but I'm not certain. Those were his words and what reason does he have to lie?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFerree View Post
He does work at the range though. I think he trainer, but I'm not certain. Those were his words and what reason does he have to lie?
I'm not trying to call anybody a liar. What I am saying is that he might be blaming the lack of a snap cap, when the reality may be simple parts failure due to excessive use. We don't know that it wouldn't have happened with a snap cap. We don't know that it wouldn't have happened if he was firing 300 to 400 live rounds a day. All we know is that it did happen.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #7

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here's AGI's article on making your own snap caps :

WHY & How to Make "Snap Caps"
We received this question from an AGI Student:
"I just came into possession of a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet. And I was wondering if it would
damage the rifle if I practiced firing with no round in it?" Thanks. Dan
Dan: It's never really a good idea to repetitively drop the hammer on an empty chamber,
because if there isn't a primer to soften or Stop the forward motion of the firing pin, you risk
breaking it, or causing a burr to form. (With some guns like the 1911 it is less of a problem due
to the floating firing pin design). I would suggest that you purchase or make "snap caps" (see
the article below) which have spring-loaded "dummy primers" that absorb the impact.
You can get them from Brownells, Midway and other places. Or use empty cases with fired
primers, but be careful not to get a loaded round mixed in. You could also make a set of snap
caps. You also never want to dry fire rimfires. Because the firing pin will hit the barrel at the
edge of the chamber and "peen" some metal into the chamber causing jams and misfires. The
"fix" for a chamber moderately damage in this fashion is to use a special hardened tapered
chamber tool that pushes the metal back into place. Just removing the burr, by it's self may
result in an unsupported area behind the rim that will not allow for solid positive ignition.
Here is an excellent way to make your own, cheap snap caps. This is especially useful for those
cartridges that are now out of manufacture or hard to find. All you need are some basic tools that
would be in most homes and a reloading press.
1. "Load" a bullet into an unprimed case as you normally would on any reloading press,
minus any powder. (Don't prime the cartridge, but leave this hole empty and free
for the rubber that will replace the primer which the firing pin will strike)
2. Cut a bit of rubber, from the end of a pencil if you like, or use nylon or any other soft
rubber/plastic and turn the diameter down to just a bit bigger by a few thousandths then
that of the primer pocket. This can be achieved with any blade, but I found thin ones
best, such as a scalpel or razor. The diameter can be guessed or measured with a dial
calliper. Leave about a 1/16" to 1/8" of rubber extending, above the bottom of the case,
when the rubber has been pressed into the primer hole.
3. Glue the rubber into place with super glue or epoxy. Then trim flush with the case.
Trimming can be achieved again, by using a thin, sharp blade to achieve a level, flat
surface. OR sanding lightly across using a flat surface as backing to the sandpaper.

4. You can leave the rubber natural or colour it with a permanent marker to distinguish it
from live cartridges. Any colour can be chosen for your own preference.

5. Drill a couple of holes into the sides of the case to ensure it is easily distinguishable from
live cartridges. This can be achieved using either a mini drill or electric drill. The former is
my preference, as it gives more speed control and can be more precise. If clamping the
case to drill, and you really should be careful not to deform the case, as this will end in
tears when you try to load the snap cap into the breach of you rifle or pistol. Before
drilling, mark where you want the hole(s) and tap very gently with a fine punch. You are
now ready to drill the hole, as the punch mark will stop the drill sliding on the rounded
surface of the case. Using a starting punch can also deform the case, so be careful.

Do ensure that there is no burr left on any of the holes that are drilled. A needle file and
emery cloth will make short work of anything sharp left on the brass. Or you can use a
center drill.And finally, rub the final product with a little fine emery cloth or wire wool, to
clean all surfaces. Make sure that all signs of 'super glue' are gone or dry. The last thing
you want is unnoticed 'super glue' fixing the snap cap permanently into your favourite
firearm.

If you want to, further colour can be added to the base of the case to flag it up as a
snap cap.
And there you have it, a new snap cap. It will work with any caliber, so have a go!

This is an easy and effective way of making a cheap, long lasting snap cap. I have tried it and
it works well. If the rubber ever wears out, just replace it.

Good Shooting,
Gene Kelly
President AGI

Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Just remember what are snap caps and what is ammunition.

There have been instances where someone had a brain fade and pulled the trigger on a firearm kept for protection thinking they put caps in first.

(Why don't manufacturers include snap caps with a new firearm if they think the caps are useful?)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Snap caps should be colored red to distinguish them from real ammo .

The caps can be useful as dummy rounds for training purposes such as practicing loading, unloading, jam clearing and press-checking .

Old 11-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #10

Here comes #1!

Glock, Inc.'s official position on dry firing, now, is NOT TO DO IT without using snap caps. What a reversal of policy that is - Huh! Since the factory's, also, been dickering around lately with MIM strikers that would, however, seem to make sense.

Another good use for snap caps is in what the NRA calls, 'ball and dummy' drills.