Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad

Greetings All,

I'm an FFL and an NRA instructor in the Detroit Area. I also recently released an iPhone application aimed at safety. Thought this forum may be interested. I have a Free version coming out sometime early this week as well. The app is called SafetyGrid (the Free one is SafetyGrid LITE).

The use case is a single button, silent alarm which, in the case of the full version, will automatically call up to 5 of your contacts with a broadcast message, as well as SMS Text messages, Emails and a Post to Facebook wall. (Twitter coming soon). The message status is 2 way acknowledged visually on the device on sent status, acknowledged or problem with delivery. The message also contains a link to your estimated location on a map and the site is updated to allow you to get the most recent information available. Even if the location data is not available, the problem this solves is the message gets out you need help vs reporting a missing person. It's NOT a replacement for 911. It's something that can be used in conjunction with (after calling 911) or in lieu of calling 911 if calling 911 is not possible or safe. For more details you can visit "SafetyGrid..The App that could save your bacon!"*|*SafetyGrid. I introduced the idea to my CPL students and the idea was very well received in that community. Naturally this is also not a replacement for active defensive measures where your life is in immediate jeopardy. Hope you find this informative. Have a Safe superbowl weekend!

Regards,

Jim

PS I have had requests for Android phones and that is in the plans for this year.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Aps are beyond my current skill level but it sounds like a great idea. At least they will know where to start looking for the body.
Here is a home panic button. Keep your car keys next to your bed. If something goes bump in the night, hit the horn or panic button on the key fob. The resulting noise might scare an intruder away as well as tick off the neighbors.
My house alarm has a wireless remote and I keep it next to the bed along with a phone, cell phone and handguns.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #3

Default app intended use

Yes, my hope would be naturally that the app's tracking capability will assist in getting the appropriate help to the person in need in a timely manner. And that if it was used in the middle of an active encounter,anyone wounded would perhaps have the benefit of a timely and properly placed response of medical care.

The additional intended users I envisioned certainly extend beyond those who can defend themselves actively either physically by hand or with the assistance of a firearm. As the young are often targets for this type of attacker, my hope is that technology like this will be of some assistance. My kids all carry this and of course, I am one of their contacts among others who may be able to provide and respond with help. Further this app will extend beyond the borders of this great land to places where unfortunately self-defense via firearms or other means isn't allowed.

Regarding the home, I do the same along with external cameras, flood lights, and very well trained furry friends to give me the extra intel and second or two to prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Having been shot at more than a time or two in my life, I feel the need to be as prepared as I can so as not to let any more of my 9 lives get used up before I'm ready to say goodbye to this world.

Regards,

Jim

Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Anything in the works for the Android?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Default Android Version

Yes, we have Android planned for mid summer this year.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #6

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

This could be advertised and used for important events as well. When someone gives birth it could be a quick easy way for the parents to send the announcement to contacts and Facebook.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

Default Special Events

Yes, that's in the works as a separate app but based on similar concept. It's called AlertRoster. I wanted to separate the two as it seemed important to keep the SafetyGrid app very simplistic in it's interface due to it's use case being under stress. (Not that having a new little one isn't stressful... I have 4 kids! ) But you know what I mean.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitarms View Post
Yes, that's in the works as a separate app but based on similar concept. It's called AlertRoster. I wanted to separate the two as it seemed important to keep the SafetyGrid app very simplistic in it's interface due to it's use case being under stress. (Not that having a new little one isn't stressful... I have 4 kids! ) But you know what I mean.
Have you thought about an ap for birth control?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My wedding band seems to work for that with me.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Carrying an iPhone IS effective birth control! LOL

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!