Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/silent-panic-button-iphone-ipad-38058/)

detroitarms 02-06-2011 10:21 PM

Silent Panic Button for iPhone / iPad

Greetings All,

I'm an FFL and an NRA instructor in the Detroit Area. I also recently released an iPhone application aimed at safety. Thought this forum may be interested. I have a Free version coming out sometime early this week as well. The app is called SafetyGrid (the Free one is SafetyGrid LITE).

The use case is a single button, silent alarm which, in the case of the full version, will automatically call up to 5 of your contacts with a broadcast message, as well as SMS Text messages, Emails and a Post to Facebook wall. (Twitter coming soon). The message status is 2 way acknowledged visually on the device on sent status, acknowledged or problem with delivery. The message also contains a link to your estimated location on a map and the site is updated to allow you to get the most recent information available. Even if the location data is not available, the problem this solves is the message gets out you need help vs reporting a missing person. It's NOT a replacement for 911. It's something that can be used in conjunction with (after calling 911) or in lieu of calling 911 if calling 911 is not possible or safe. For more details you can visit "SafetyGrid..The App that could save your bacon!"*|*SafetyGrid. I introduced the idea to my CPL students and the idea was very well received in that community. Naturally this is also not a replacement for active defensive measures where your life is in immediate jeopardy. Hope you find this informative. Have a Safe superbowl weekend!

Regards,

Jim

PS I have had requests for Android phones and that is in the plans for this year.

JTJ 02-07-2011 02:09 AM

Aps are beyond my current skill level but it sounds like a great idea. At least they will know where to start looking for the body.:)
Here is a home panic button. Keep your car keys next to your bed. If something goes bump in the night, hit the horn or panic button on the key fob. The resulting noise might scare an intruder away as well as tick off the neighbors.
My house alarm has a wireless remote and I keep it next to the bed along with a phone, cell phone and handguns.

detroitarms 02-07-2011 03:45 AM

app intended use

Yes, my hope would be naturally that the app's tracking capability will assist in getting the appropriate help to the person in need in a timely manner. And that if it was used in the middle of an active encounter,anyone wounded would perhaps have the benefit of a timely and properly placed response of medical care.

The additional intended users I envisioned certainly extend beyond those who can defend themselves actively either physically by hand or with the assistance of a firearm. As the young are often targets for this type of attacker, my hope is that technology like this will be of some assistance. My kids all carry this and of course, I am one of their contacts among others who may be able to provide and respond with help. Further this app will extend beyond the borders of this great land to places where unfortunately self-defense via firearms or other means isn't allowed.

Regarding the home, I do the same along with external cameras, flood lights, and very well trained furry friends to give me the extra intel and second or two to prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Having been shot at more than a time or two in my life, I feel the need to be as prepared as I can so as not to let any more of my 9 lives get used up before I'm ready to say goodbye to this world.

Regards,

Jim

DarinCraft 02-07-2011 06:00 AM

Anything in the works for the Android?

detroitarms 02-07-2011 12:54 PM

Android Version

Yes, we have Android planned for mid summer this year.

Yunus 02-07-2011 01:32 PM

This could be advertised and used for important events as well. When someone gives birth it could be a quick easy way for the parents to send the announcement to contacts and Facebook.

detroitarms 02-07-2011 03:29 PM

Special Events

Yes, that's in the works as a separate app but based on similar concept. It's called AlertRoster. I wanted to separate the two as it seemed important to keep the SafetyGrid app very simplistic in it's interface due to it's use case being under stress. (Not that having a new little one isn't stressful... I have 4 kids! :eek:) But you know what I mean. :)

JTJ 02-07-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitarms (Post 439074)
Yes, that's in the works as a separate app but based on similar concept. It's called AlertRoster. I wanted to separate the two as it seemed important to keep the SafetyGrid app very simplistic in it's interface due to it's use case being under stress. (Not that having a new little one isn't stressful... I have 4 kids! :eek:) But you know what I mean. :)

Have you thought about an ap for birth control?:D

fireguy 02-07-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 439341)

My wedding band seems to work for that with me.

fixxer 02-07-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 439341)

Carrying an iPhone IS effective birth control! LOL