Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Signed up for my CWP class!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/signed-up-my-cwp-class-89639/)

MaxImpactGuns 04-26-2013 11:02 PM

Signed up for my CWP class!!!

I'm finally taking my CWP class June 15th! I can't wait!! I'm still undecided on what to qualify with the g19c or the g22? Any suggestions? They're both pretty comfortable to shoot and I don't really notice any difference in the two to be honest. I also think they're both pretty easy to conceal.

manta 04-26-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

'm finally taking my CWP class June 15th! I can't wait!! I'm still undecided on what to qualify with the g19c or the g22? Any suggestions? They're both pretty comfortable to shoot and I don't really notice any difference in the two to be honest. I also think they're both pretty easy to conceal
Do you have to do a class to conceal carry in America or is it just to make you more proficient. ?

eatmydust 04-26-2013 11:30 PM

Manta - it depends on the state. here in Pennsylvania(PA), open carry is legal, however, I've only seen it once or twice, always out in the wilds. PA is a "shall issue" state, meaning that if you are not barred by law from owning a firearm, it must issue you a concealed carry permit(CCW) that is valid for 5 years. You must apply for your CCW through the county sherriff's office and you are finger printed and photographed and must carry you CCW with you when you carry a concealed deadly weapon.

In order to CC in 36 other states, I had to take a 4 hour class, and submit another set of fingerprints and a photo to the issuing state (Utah). There is an approximately 60-day waiting period, while Utah officials do a background check.

Missouribound 04-27-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxImpactGuns (Post 1228163)
I'm finally taking my CWP class June 15th! I can't wait!! I'm still undecided on what to qualify with the g19c or the g22? Any suggestions? They're both pretty comfortable to shoot and I don't really notice any difference in the two to be honest. I also think they're both pretty easy to conceal.

Does the law require you to use the gun you plan on carrying? I'm glad it's not that way here in Missouri. Here, you have to qualify with both a revolver and a pistol and it does not have to be one of your carry guns. You can also use 22's to qualify, which is great since ammo is so expensive. Back to your question. I think it's more important to chose a gun that is comfortable to CARRY rather than one which is the most comfortable to shoot. I chose a S&W Bodyguard for that reason, to carry...at least in the warmer months when clothing may be sparce. But I am also looking at a Glock 26, or a S&W M&P 9mm compact as an alternate.

HockaLouis 04-27-2013 02:20 AM

Missoura, I was gonna ask that. Smaller is better to carry -- less so to qualify if they even test live there in SC.

MaxImpactGuns 04-27-2013 01:40 PM

Yeah I was living in Missouri and should have taken it then. Working too much and nights I just never got around to it. All they told me was bring what ever pistol I wanted and 50 rounds, it's an all day class. I could open carry in Missouri but only in certain cities. I did open carry a few times but only when I was in the city picking up my wife from work. I'm considering getting the g30s. I'm a big fan of the .45 and its supposed to be a slim frame design. The way my body is, it's not uncomfortable for me to keep a glock or my H&K usp compact which got stolen last year on the right side of my back/hip. The waiting period is at least 6 months right now and they just upped the fee to $75. The class is $50+$5 for fingerprinting, so I'm looking at around $130 after it's all said and done and the permit is good for 3 years. I'm not sure what the renewal is. I think it's easier to purchase after getting your CWP so I've heard.

7point62 04-27-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 1228168)
Do you have to do a class to conceal carry in America or is it just to make you more proficient. ?

Differs from state-to-state...in Florida, for example, you don't have to take a class if you have proof of prior firearms training, such as the military. It's never about proficiency. That you have to learn on your own. It's mostly about safety and the laws pertaining to CC, etc.

AR10 04-28-2013 07:26 AM

If you are not proficient in holstering and deploying your Glock, get in lots of practice with an unloaded Glock. Every weekend, some guy gal does an unintentional discharge of their handgun, because sometimes fingers get a crossed signal.

Do not to get Glock leg at the range on class day.

Be careful!

MaxImpactGuns 04-28-2013 08:53 PM

Yea I'll be careful. As a habit I never put my finger on the trigger unless I'm ready to fire. I've practiced some drills getting my weapon out as fast as I can. I'm looking forward to it though I think it will be a good experience.

MaxImpactGuns 05-04-2013 11:21 PM

Alright I got bumped up on the class I found out yesterday and took my test today. Passed shooting test with 100% and missed two questions that were south carolina related. The gun safety and common sense I obviously got correct. I'm sending my paperwork next friday and then will just wait on my permit for the next 3 months :(