Shouldering Rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shouldering Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shouldering Rifle

Hey guys, I have a question about shouldering a rifle/shotgun. Now, when I was at the ranger, I realized I don't exactly shoulder my rifle, I kind of put the butt against my outer chest. I also have a long 12 gauge, which I also put on my outer chest. Now, when I shot the 12 gauge, I had some problems with the stock slipping.

I can't really find a shoulder pocket to put the butt end against. I think it might be because I have a big chest. Anyone have any tips/advice?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"
~Thomas Jefferson

"Fear is a sickness. It will crawl into the soul of anyone who engages it."

From Long Island? Check out LItactical.com forum!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9147 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Odds are you may be tending to squarely face your target. Try this- (for right handers) Face target, and then pivot 45 degrees to your right. Spread your feet about shoulder width apart. Now, WITHOUT MOVING YOUR FEET- turn your body back towards target. (For those that have had the attentions of a Drill Sgt, you are making a half left face) Pocket becomes more apparent when angle of arm to chest is less than 90 degrees. You NOW also have right foot about a half step behind the left, meaning your weight is evenly balanced.

I watch a LOT of shooters stand facing target squarely, feet side by side, and when you raise rifle or pistol, NOW your shoulders have moved back, hips forward to balance weight of arms, and you are off balance.

If you raise right arm, hold it out at 90 to the front, take left hand, feel for pocket, and while holding left hand there, move extended right hand to the left- feel the pocket increase?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Great advice from C3. Stance is everything when shouldering a long gun. You can do it with your feet placed anywhere, but it won't be comfortable, locked in, or as stable.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

great advice c3

but personally when shooting a shotgun, I was told to be square to your target...also with moving and shooting drills its difficult to walk like a crab..

But if you are bench shooting or patterning a shotgun, yea... find a comfortable angle to the target and distribute that weight

Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9147 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words-

Shooting Positions

Please note that the shooter is all positions has his body at an angle to the target.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.