Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Should I be concerned with ammunition as Christmas gift? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/should-i-concerned-ammunition-christmas-gift-34814/)

eack1234 11-26-2010 07:27 PM

Should I be concerned with ammunition as Christmas gift?

I would like to give my cousin some ammunition as a gift. I know what kind of gun he has and have picked out the ammo, however beyond that I don't know anything about firearms and shooting. Is there any safety concerns I should have with wrapping the ammo and putting it out under the christmas tree at our family party? I know this may be an overly-cautious question, but I want to be absolutely sure nothing dangerous could happen with the ammo.

Thanks!

CA357 11-26-2010 07:32 PM

No problem at all.

Welcome here. There's a new member introduction forum, head over there and introduce yourself to the gang. :cool:

c3shooter 11-26-2010 08:20 PM

Do not store ammo in the oven, wood stove, or deep fryer. :p Other than that, it is pretty safe to wrap, handle, etc. If you are unsure of exactly what ammo to get him, you can always go with a gift card from a local sporting goods store.

canebrake 11-26-2010 08:24 PM

No problemo, you should worry more about your safety while the Wally World clerk hands you the ammo than anything going on under the Christmas tree.

If you still have an issue, send me the ammo and I will keep it safe! :p

sarge_257 11-26-2010 09:11 PM

Ammo in the mail

Quote:

Originally Posted by eack1234 (Post 392495)
I would like to give my cousin some ammunition as a gift. I know what kind of gun he has and have picked out the ammo, however beyond that I don't know anything about firearms and shooting. Is there any safety concerns I should have with wrapping the ammo and putting it out under the christmas tree at our family party? I know this may be an overly-cautious question, but I want to be absolutely sure nothing dangerous could happen with the ammo.

Thanks!

When I lived in Alaska I had a lot of ammo left over when I moved back to Colorado. UPS and FEDX all had no policy against shipping ammo. I did have a problem about shipping gun powder home, so I just wrapped it with duct tape around each container and packed it in a cardboard box with peanuts around it and put in my Ford Explorer. I duct taped the cardboard boxes to the back seat legs so they would not move around and to deter anyone from easily opening the door and grabbing a box. The shipping company OK's shippers to have some personal property in the auto as long as it was not food, liquids or explosives. (just in case you don't know smokeless powder is considered a flamable solid not an explosive)
All of my property made it home to Colorado in great shape.
Sarge

oldgrunt 12-16-2010 12:31 AM

I think I'd go with the gift card. There is a lot of different kinds of ammo and he may have his personal preferences. Put a note in with it telling him it is for ammo.

armsvault 12-16-2010 01:35 AM

I guess it all depends on just how wild your family party gets!! :)

As for myself... I can't imagine a situation where it would be an issue. I've probably received ammo under the tree every year for the last 10 years.

As a side note.... ammo is always a great gift!