Shotgun Training: Home Defense, Tactical
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shotgun Training: Home Defense, Tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotgun Training: Home Defense, Tactical

A while back I came to these forums in the effort to pick out a good shotgun. Well, I succeeded. I purchased a Remington 870 Marine Magnum. For the last two weeks, I've been getting used to it. It bruised my shoulder the first day I shot it.

Anyhow now that I am fairly comfortable with it, here's what I want to do. I am looking to truly learn how to use a shotgun. Home defense classes, night shooting, tactical shooting, and whatnot.

I live in las Vegas, Nevada.

Do any of you have suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Front Sight of course... but the course is $1000 for a day.

You can try all the gun shops, but I haven't seen anything for shotgun. Apparently there are no NRA instructors in the area for shotgunning.

I would suggest getting a video or book and hitting the desert for some trigger time with a shooting buddy. Also, invest in a recoil pad because you'll want to shoot a lot to get acquainted with the firearm.

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Louis Awerbuck does a great job with the shotgun.

Suarez International does another decent one, but there doesn't seem to be any in your neck of the woods next year...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personal instruction is one option, albeit a costly one. If you have the resources having someone teach you would be the best choice.

Training materials such as books and videos can give you a lot of information that you can take into your own training time, and will be much less expensive. You can probably find a lot of information out there at places like Paladin Press.

One option in videos is Thunder Ranch DVD informational series. Clint Smith is considered one of the top instructors and has put a lot of information into these videos from what I understand. There is one for Defensive Shotgun.

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/store.html#dvd