Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shotgun Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck87charger View Post
Thanks guys for the information. I may need to get some #4 shot.
No, NOT #4 shot. #4 Buck! Very different. Be careful when buying shells and really look at what you're buying.

I load my HD shottie with #1 buck.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #22

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

In my earlier post my message was a little harsh. This gentleman needs a few classes on the use of a shotgun. Yup, they are expensive but the alternatives are much more expensive. There is to much misinformation in this thread. It started out good with information pretty much the same as what firearms instructors preach. Then it went straight to hell.

If someone is going to fire a shotgun in an urban environment they should be proficient with the the thing. If the man doesn't know the difference between bird and buckshot he is as proficient with a shotgun as I am a patriot missile battery.

He should go to a skeet range and take a few beginners lessons. Once he can bust a few clays he will be ready for a few self defense classes.

We have a few people answering questions that need some lessons as well. Shot spread is not going to be an issue in a small apartment. At 10 yards I can cut the top of a rabbits head off with buckshot because the pattern is not much larger than my hand. Choke has very little effect on the spread of buckshot. In fact, it has been proven time and time again that a full choke deforms buckshot causing it to spread faster. If you google buckshot deformation you will see why a full choke is not good for buckshot.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guys, thanks for making this a great thread. After reading your input and my own research I have loaded my 12 ga with #4 bird shot due to my close quarters, when I move to the country I will return to 00 buck shot

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #24

Liked 136 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I currently have 00 Buck in my home defense shotgun but I really think after doing a lot of studying that I am going to pick up #4 Buckshot instead. Much less chance of over penetration but it will still take someone down pretty quickly.

I live in a single family home but the neighbors are not that far away, maybe 40 feet, so I am concerned about over penetration with 00 Buckshot.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1347 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Demising walls in apartments or duplexes are 1 hour fire rated. That is two layers of 5/8" sheetrock on each side. Any testing you do should be based on 2 1/2" of sheetrock, not 1" of sheetrock. If you hit your target at close quarters it is doubtful buckshot will have enough energy to go into your neighbors dwelling. You can use #4 buckshot for an extra measure of safety.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato