Shotgun Home Defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shotgun Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shotgun Home Defense

What do you all keep in your home defense shot gun. I live in a side by side duplex in town and worry about buckshot carrying through walls and hurting neighbors in the event I need to use it. Has anyone done testing? Does anyone use the Aguila short shells?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck87charger View Post
What do you all keep in your home defense shot gun. I live in a side by side duplex in town and worry about buckshot carrying through walls and hurting neighbors in the event I need to use it. Has anyone done testing? Does anyone use the Aguila short shells?
I keep #1 or #00 buck in mine. Are all of the apartments of the same or similar layouts? if not, the best advice I can give you is make friends with your neighbors, have a cook out, party etc. While hanging out with them you will probably be in their unit at some point. once you know the layout of their places, you will know where to shoot, and more importantly, where not to. 00 out of my wife's Mossberg HS 410 will go through most walls and doors, my 12 gauge 870 with #1 or #00 goes through a wall with no major problems. I had an opportunity to test them both at a house my friend was tearing down on his property. Neither one went through the studs, but both tore the cr@p out of doors ( the old thick kind, modern interior doors are not made that solid), paneling, and plasterboard. I live in an upper unit myself, and would not encounter that particular issue on 3 sides of my unit. I would never fire down or to the north for fear of hittng my daughter, or my landlord. The main entrance is to the south, so my biggest concearns would be window replacement, clean up, and keeping the landlord from returning fire.

Never tried the Aguila shells. If anyone else has, fill me in too please.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The trick to shooting a shotgun in close quarters is hitting your target. While buckshot will pass through a bad guy it won't have enough velocity left to pass through a double layer fire wall. Building codes require two layers of 5/8 drywall on each side of demising walls in apartment buildings for fire safety. I would also get number 4 buckshot.

Unless you have a steel exterior door I would not count on a door to stop anything. Today's wood doors are made of veneer, which is very brittle. Most apartment buildings built after 1990 have steel entrance doors and veneer interior doors.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I keep my Mossberg 500 12 ga handy, loaded with 00 buck. Behind my house is a big yard then a hill that would stop anything that comes thru my wall. In front is a 100' yard, then a street, then a hill with my neighbor's house on top, so that would be pretty safe. The neighbors' houses on both sides are each about 100' away, which may or may not be sufficient. So if I have to shoot, I'll ask the BG to please stand by the back wall so I can shoot him without hitting my neighbor's house.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2011 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 602

A LEO posted on a previous thread that his department tested shotguns and for home defense found that BB was the smallest shot that would do the job and not over penetrate. I believe he recommended #4 buck as maximum for home defense.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

JimRau Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the information. I may need to get some #4 shot.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My apartment isn't verry big and a shotgun isn't my first choice for a break in because of the tight spaces. I've got my .9mm and my .38 for that. I do keep my shotguns loaded one with slugs because I have a balcony that overlooks a large yard and a golf course. And one loaded with #6 shot 3 inch shells

Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I prefer my handgun at home, but #4 is the way to go if I used my old '97Winchester riot. In the woods it's loaded with #00 buckshot.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is #4 shot or buckshot. I've never seen any

Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It's #4 buckshot