Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Shotgun Home Defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shotgun-home-defense-76338/)

Chuck87charger 11-14-2012 01:32 AM

Shotgun Home Defense

What do you all keep in your home defense shot gun. I live in a side by side duplex in town and worry about buckshot carrying through walls and hurting neighbors in the event I need to use it. Has anyone done testing? Does anyone use the Aguila short shells?

kfox75 11-14-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck87charger (Post 1013551)
What do you all keep in your home defense shot gun. I live in a side by side duplex in town and worry about buckshot carrying through walls and hurting neighbors in the event I need to use it. Has anyone done testing? Does anyone use the Aguila short shells?

I keep #1 or #00 buck in mine. Are all of the apartments of the same or similar layouts? if not, the best advice I can give you is make friends with your neighbors, have a cook out, party etc. While hanging out with them you will probably be in their unit at some point. once you know the layout of their places, you will know where to shoot, and more importantly, where not to. 00 out of my wife's Mossberg HS 410 will go through most walls and doors, my 12 gauge 870 with #1 or #00 goes through a wall with no major problems. I had an opportunity to test them both at a house my friend was tearing down on his property. Neither one went through the studs, but both tore the cr@p out of doors ( the old thick kind, modern interior doors are not made that solid), paneling, and plasterboard. I live in an upper unit myself, and would not encounter that particular issue on 3 sides of my unit. I would never fire down or to the north for fear of hittng my daughter, or my landlord. The main entrance is to the south, so my biggest concearns would be window replacement, clean up, and keeping the landlord from returning fire.:D

Never tried the Aguila shells. If anyone else has, fill me in too please.

Old_Crow 11-14-2012 12:00 PM

The trick to shooting a shotgun in close quarters is hitting your target. While buckshot will pass through a bad guy it won't have enough velocity left to pass through a double layer fire wall. Building codes require two layers of 5/8 drywall on each side of demising walls in apartment buildings for fire safety. I would also get number 4 buckshot.

Unless you have a steel exterior door I would not count on a door to stop anything. Today's wood doors are made of veneer, which is very brittle. Most apartment buildings built after 1990 have steel entrance doors and veneer interior doors.

AIKIJUTSU 11-14-2012 04:18 PM

I keep my Mossberg 500 12 ga handy, loaded with 00 buck. Behind my house is a big yard then a hill that would stop anything that comes thru my wall. In front is a 100' yard, then a street, then a hill with my neighbor's house on top, so that would be pretty safe. The neighbors' houses on both sides are each about 100' away, which may or may not be sufficient. So if I have to shoot, I'll ask the BG to please stand by the back wall so I can shoot him without hitting my neighbor's house. :D

JTJ 11-14-2012 06:52 PM

A LEO posted on a previous thread that his department tested shotguns and for home defense found that BB was the smallest shot that would do the job and not over penetrate. I believe he recommended #4 buck as maximum for home defense.

Chuck87charger 11-15-2012 03:26 AM

Thanks guys for the information. I may need to get some #4 shot.

dsheppard 11-15-2012 03:49 AM

My apartment isn't verry big and a shotgun isn't my first choice for a break in because of the tight spaces. I've got my .9mm and my .38 for that. I do keep my shotguns loaded one with slugs because I have a balcony that overlooks a large yard and a golf course. And one loaded with #6 shot 3 inch shells

gunsmoke11 11-15-2012 04:38 AM

I prefer my handgun at home, but #4 is the way to go if I used my old '97Winchester riot. In the woods it's loaded with #00 buckshot.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...F/P1010019.jpg

dsheppard 11-15-2012 04:36 PM

Is #4 shot or buckshot. I've never seen any

gunsmoke11 11-15-2012 04:47 PM

It's #4 buckshot