Shooting on your back (with video) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Shooting on your back (with video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I don't like shooting from the back either. Prone is much better if you are in a situation where you can dictate your position.

Practicing shooting on your back is just good in case you accidentally end up there (i.e. tripping) or if you do not have enough time to get to your feet (i.e. in the middle of the night, in bed, with your gun in hand, but the intruder is already at your bedroom due to whatever reason murphy's law can conjure up).

If you can swing it, prone is the best "on the dirt" position.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good input from everybody...my afterthought after reading them is that maybe the way I do it on the video could be usefull if you are in a place where you can't backup much or move to the sides and the bad guy charges towards you ,either with a gun or a knife...I hate knifes at close range...

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yep, prone would be preferred, but I practice from my back too. Two-handed grip is better, but I practice one-handed ... just in case...

...just an old guy's opinion....

Some of my toys

Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #14

Default real life example

Here's a video of a Saudi police officer shooting on his back to stop the threat.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike309d View Post
Here's a video of a Saudi police officer shooting on his back to stop the threat.

YouTube - the terrorist in the saudi arabia
Wow, pretty impresive video...! Gladly enough ,shooting on his back worked for the officer...

Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolg View Post
When I practice defensive driils I often lay down on my back cause I think it's a good way to make your self a smaller target and good way to get a liitle bit out of the line of fire in an event of a close counter situation if there is no much space to move anywhere
I've been criticized sometimes for doing this for two reasons:
Some think it's dangerous cause I can shooy my legs( I practiced this drill dry firing before shooting of course,I love my legs...) and others critic that I can't move by laying on the floor: I posted a liitle video,I'll appreciate everybody's opinion on this matter...thanks

YouTube - Close quarters shooting
Great video. However, posting a video like that will be grounds for constructive criticism.

You weren't using a target, but there was an obvious discoloration in the dirt wall you were shooting at. When you were doing your drill, I saw one flyer that went up and to the right of your intended target. The good thing is, you're practicing the drill. It's real important that you get good enough to not let flyers happen. That could be the angle that sends a round through a second-story apartment window and through the skull of an innocent bystander's cat. You would NOT want to go to jail for cat-ricide!

I know I'm making light of it, but you get the point. Shooting on your back is another great tool for your bag...

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Great video. However, posting a video like that will be grounds for constructive criticism.

You weren't using a target, but there was an obvious discoloration in the dirt wall you were shooting at. When you were doing your drill, I saw one flyer that went up and to the right of your intended target. The good thing is, you're practicing the drill. It's real important that you get good enough to not let flyers happen. That could be the angle that sends a round through a second-story apartment window and through the skull of an innocent bystander's cat. You would NOT want to go to jail for cat-ricide!

I know I'm making light of it, but you get the point. Shooting on your back is another great tool for your bag...

I know I'm making light of it, but you get the point. Shooting on your back is another great tool for your bag...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, one of the reason for posting the video is to get feedback from you guys,I aprecciate your comments
Very good point about the video:There was a person like figure outlined on the dirt wall that is not visible for the camera, I hit all the shots on the target except for one...
The flyer...!I noticed it too, I believe it was caused by me starting to get on my back while I do that shot, I have to work on that transition for sure as I go from drawing and "shooting from the hip" one handed, to laying back on the floor and using the sights.
Just to cut me some slack, I didn't practice the drill before shooting the video that day,it was a first and only take and wanted to leave it like that,as I believe that if this was a real life situation ,I could not ask the B.G. for a retake....

Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Absolutely, one of the reason for posting the video is to get feedback from you guys,I aprecciate your comments
Very good point about the video:There was a person like figure outlined on the dirt wall that is not visible for the camera, I hit all the shots on the target except for one...
The flyer...!I noticed it too, I believe it was caused by me starting to get on my back while I do that shot, I have to work on that transition for sure as I go from drawing and "shooting from the hip" one handed, to laying back on the floor and using the sights.
Just to cut me some slack, I didn't practice the drill before shooting the video that day,it was a first and only take and wanted to leave it like that,as I believe that if this was a real life situation ,I could not ask the B.G. for a retake....
I often tell my students, "NEVER get in a mindset and stay there."
Shooting on your back (with video) - Training & Safety
...and the same goes for combat shooting. Never get into a fighting position and STAY there!

Practice transitioning from standing to supine (on your back), then how to quickly and efficiently get out of that position. It could mean rolling to the left or right, "scooting" back by pushing off with your legs, rolling back to land on your feet so you can move, etc.

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #19

Default My 2 cents...

Quote:
When I practice defensive driils I often lay down on my back cause I think it's a good way to make your self a smaller target and good way to get a liitle bit out of the line of fire in an event of a close counter situation if there is no much space to move anywhere
I've been criticized sometimes for doing this for two reasons:
Some think it's dangerous cause I can shooy my legs( I practiced this drill dry firing before shooting of course,I love my legs...) and others critic that I can't move by laying on the floor: I posted a liitle video,I'll appreciate everybody's opinion on this matter...thanks
I've seen many pix where the shooter, usually a LEO, is behind a wheel (for cover) and shooting at a very awkward angle. Obviously, this takes practice to become proficient (as does anything worthwhile), so it's not worthy of criticism. Have your critics review the video from the LA Shootout and I'm sure you'll see many LEOs on their sides or backs, trying to get the shot.

The circumstances will determine your options. Sometimes on your back is the only way.

A little off-topic, but I recall seeing many old drawings of sharpshooters taking very long shots while on their backs, using their legs & feet to steady the muzzle. I'm sure a Google Image search will dredge up many of those pix.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
I've seen many pix where the shooter, usually a LEO, is behind a wheel (for cover) and shooting at a very awkward angle. Obviously, this takes practice to become proficient (as does anything worthwhile), so it's not worthy of criticism. Have your critics review the video from the LA Shootout and I'm sure you'll see many LEOs on their sides or backs, trying to get the shot.

The circumstances will determine your options. Sometimes on your back is the only way.

A little off-topic, but I recall seeing many old drawings of sharpshooters taking very long shots while on their backs, using their legs & feet to steady the muzzle. I'm sure a Google Image search will dredge up many of those pix.
Thanks Kid...did you watch the video Mike309 posted on this thread ?
Made me feel better about the drill...

Newest Threads