Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting on your back (with video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooting on your back (with video)

When I practice defensive driils I often lay down on my back cause I think it's a good way to make your self a smaller target and good way to get a liitle bit out of the line of fire in an event of a close counter situation if there is no much space to move anywhere
I've been criticized sometimes for doing this for two reasons:
Some think it's dangerous cause I can shooy my legs( I practiced this drill dry firing before shooting of course,I love my legs...) and others critic that I can't move by laying on the floor: I posted a liitle video,I'll appreciate everybody's opinion on this matter...thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about shooting on your back, but I've done shoting on my back. Usually Tequila.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
I don't know about shooting on your back, but I've done shoting on my back. Usually Tequila.
Well ,I would rather shoot tequila on my mouth ,not on my back...

Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very good video. Can you make another one with some step by step? People don't practice this enough. It's imperative that people know how to defend from any position.

I would do it, but the space in my house is limited. I may still give it a try, but I think if you do it outdoors, like in your other videos, the lighting will be better.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you sergeant, I had this clip and didn't remeber ,next time I go to this place I'll take a camera...I'll like to know your opinion on the technique of laying on the floor ,do you think it's good or useless?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It is very useful. One of the most important things to practice is fighting from the ground. There is always a good chance you may end up on the ground.

Imagine trying to step backwards while you are drawing your weapon, then you trip and fall. You must be able to still effectively engage the threat with your weapon, otherwise the bad guy may end up winning the fight, and you end up taking a permanent residence 6 feet under.

Good video, and very useful.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
It is very useful. One of the most important things to practice is fighting from the ground. There is always a good chance you may end up on the ground.

Imagine trying to step backwards while you are drawing your weapon, then you trip and fall. You must be able to still effectively engage the threat with your weapon, otherwise the bad guy may end up winning the fight, and you end up taking a permanent residence 6 feet under.

Good video, and very useful.
Is exactly what I think: Not only you might want to do it on purpose to get your self away from the BG muzzle and become a smaller target but the tripping part is also very possible in self defense situation...on my next trip to USA I should visit you and we make some videos together...

Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

........on your back is one of the few positions from which you can cover an assailant at any point of the compass without attempting to regain your feet, and possibly allowing the agresor to ramp up his attack or flee while you're getting up.......

..... and if you practice dragging your toes while backing up, your chances of tripping are greatly reduced...

just my two cents

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 05-17-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
........on your back is one of the few positions from which you can cover an assailant at any point of the compass without attempting to regain your feet, and possibly allowing the agresor to ramp up his attack or flee while you're getting up.......

..... and if you practice dragging your toes while backing up, your chances of tripping are greatly reduced...

just my two cents
Thanks Jay ,I appreciate your input.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'll stick with shooting from the tradition prone position, just because I can shoot and move faster that way. It only takes 2 movements to go from being proned out, to a dead sprint. It takes a few more to recover from your back.

I also have years of muscle memory built from shooting rifles from the prone position.

I'll take a look at it though, as both you and Jay do bring up some interesting points about effective fields of fire.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.