shooting road signs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > shooting road signs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default shooting road signs

I took the scenic route (country roads to avoid the highway) home the other day mainly because my trailer has no plates and the tailights don't work. Anyways I came to a four-way and stopped, just happened to look up at the stop sign and it's full of bullet holes. Someone had pierced it with what looked like high-powered rifle rounds and dented it with handgun rounds. Does this bother anyone else? I mean I really don't care about the sign but what would happen if my son is riding his bike over the next hill and some stupid idiot decides he wants to blow a hole in a new stop sign? I am young at 24 but I was taught from a young age about guns and gun safety. I have my father who was in the national guard to thank for that.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

^^^
I agree with you - it bothers me not just from the safety angle, but it's further ammunition for the anti-gun crowd as well.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

And what about those MORONS that shoot guns in the air for New Years & July 4th?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The few will always kill it for the many.

As a Jeeper, I frequently see where people have left the trail, just to try to drive up a really steep hill or get to a deep mud pit. It's the same thing and it's probably being done by the same people.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

During the course of my hunter safety classes I bring out a trail marker that was shot with a shotgun. I try to make the students understand that these signs are paid for with tax payer money but more importantly send an awful message to the non-hunting community. Then to further exacerbate the problem when these people see litter or other damage done to recreational areas they attribute it to the hunters. All it takes is one bad apple.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

The last thing we need is the media portraying the pro-gun crowd as a bunch of hillbilly retards that ride around in their 4x4 trucks blowing holes in signs and not stopping to think of where that bullet would land.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Why waste the ammo on a road sign when there's so many poli...er, nevermind....

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #8

Liked 1212 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Maybe we should ban road signs in an attempt to stop all this violent behavior.

When I lived in Alaska a couple friends of mine were drunk one night and went out and shot a Yield sign near our house.(I was not there). They explained this to me the day after and even had a couple pictures. After they were done I explained to them why what they were doing was so stupid. One guy was standing on the front of the sign shooting while the other guy was behind it taking a picture of the hole because you can see the moonlight through it. It took me damn near drawing a picture before they realized they were basically shooting over each others heads by just a couple feet. I blame it on the alcohol but still even sober they didn't pick up on what they were doing that quick.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

In the country it's hard to find a sign without bullet holes in it. Never done it and would report it if I saw it.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
The last thing we need is the media portraying the pro-gun crowd as a bunch of hillbilly retards that ride around in their 4x4 trucks blowing holes in signs and not stopping to think of where that bullet would land.
Think of what image it portrays for 4x4 enthusiasts too.

Two of my hobbies are both portrayed in the media as "Bubba" sports.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.