Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   shooting road signs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shooting-road-signs-11810/)

dragunovsks 03-13-2009 04:35 AM

shooting road signs

I took the scenic route (country roads to avoid the highway) home the other day mainly because my trailer has no plates and the tailights don't work. Anyways I came to a four-way and stopped, just happened to look up at the stop sign and it's full of bullet holes. Someone had pierced it with what looked like high-powered rifle rounds and dented it with handgun rounds. Does this bother anyone else? I mean I really don't care about the sign but what would happen if my son is riding his bike over the next hill and some stupid idiot decides he wants to blow a hole in a new stop sign? I am young at 24 but I was taught from a young age about guns and gun safety. I have my father who was in the national guard to thank for that.

Cnynrat 03-13-2009 12:33 PM

^^^
I agree with you - it bothers me not just from the safety angle, but it's further ammunition for the anti-gun crowd as well.

Mark F 03-13-2009 01:42 PM

And what about those MORONS that shoot guns in the air for New Years & July 4th?

matt g 03-13-2009 04:11 PM

The few will always kill it for the many.

As a Jeeper, I frequently see where people have left the trail, just to try to drive up a really steep hill or get to a deep mud pit. It's the same thing and it's probably being done by the same people.

hunter Joe 03-13-2009 05:15 PM

During the course of my hunter safety classes I bring out a trail marker that was shot with a shotgun. I try to make the students understand that these signs are paid for with tax payer money but more importantly send an awful message to the non-hunting community. Then to further exacerbate the problem when these people see litter or other damage done to recreational areas they attribute it to the hunters. All it takes is one bad apple.

dragunovsks 03-13-2009 05:20 PM

The last thing we need is the media portraying the pro-gun crowd as a bunch of hillbilly retards that ride around in their 4x4 trucks blowing holes in signs and not stopping to think of where that bullet would land.

ScottG 03-13-2009 05:27 PM

Why waste the ammo on a road sign when there's so many poli...er, nevermind.... :o

Yunus 03-13-2009 06:27 PM

Maybe we should ban road signs in an attempt to stop all this violent behavior. :D

When I lived in Alaska a couple friends of mine were drunk one night and went out and shot a Yield sign near our house.(I was not there). They explained this to me the day after and even had a couple pictures. After they were done I explained to them why what they were doing was so stupid. One guy was standing on the front of the sign shooting while the other guy was behind it taking a picture of the hole because you can see the moonlight through it. It took me damn near drawing a picture before they realized they were basically shooting over each others heads by just a couple feet. I blame it on the alcohol but still even sober they didn't pick up on what they were doing that quick.

notdku 03-13-2009 07:46 PM

In the country it's hard to find a sign without bullet holes in it. Never done it and would report it if I saw it.

matt g 03-13-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 81929)
The last thing we need is the media portraying the pro-gun crowd as a bunch of hillbilly retards that ride around in their 4x4 trucks blowing holes in signs and not stopping to think of where that bullet would land.

Think of what image it portrays for 4x4 enthusiasts too.

Two of my hobbies are both portrayed in the media as "Bubba" sports.