Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting results are lousy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah,

I have the suspicion,I will have to do that.

Thank`s for all the replies though.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
kdog,

Without actually having a firearms instructor watch your stance and form, it is very difficult to get a handle on any possible issues. Also, until you can get to a closer target and shoot from a bench rest of some sort, the accuracy of the arm itself can not be qualified.

Seems like there are those who have been attempting to help, but due to circumstances beyond your control, this assistance can't be practiced.

I suggest you take personal instruction at your range or a private session to weed out any obvious issues.
+1 on SC advise, Not something the interweb can help solve.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i can give my two primers on training solo. what i do when i think i am having issues with shooting is make some ammo with spent primers and no powder and drill a hole in the side of the case. i will mix those into a magazine they will show me right off if i am jerking the trigger or some such thing as i am shooting. you can substitute snap caps in place of dummy rounds they serve the same purpose just becareful of hot barrels and plastic snap caps. flinching while firing rounds 2 and 3 and beyound is a common problem and that just takes awareness of what is happening. which is what a dummy round helps notice. it is helpful to have someone else load the magazine or cylinder for you so you do not know where the dummy round is. this will detect flinching rather dramatically and usually cures the flinch with regular practice.

another thing is placeing a coin on the barrel near the front sight and dry firing this excercise will greatly improve trigger control. i can get it down to keeping the coin on barrel or slide while pulling the trigger. just remember to treat the gun as loaded when dry firing. this excercise is extremly difficult and nearly impossible with a DA only weapon. make sure that whatever you are using is wider than the barrel or slide.

a laser that actually projects a dot on the target is a good way to demonstrate flinch and jerking trigger pulls while dry firing. i like using a boresight laser for this sort of thing when using scoped weapons.

just a few ideas that should let you find and work out those problems.

Good luck

Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #14

We don't all have to get technical...

My philosophy is this, sometimes shooting is alot like pooping, it can be time consuming, often difficult, uncomfortable, and let's face it, on bad days it's just not pretty.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KDog, I think you said that you are consistently shooting the top of the target. Could it be as simple as adjusting your sight picture? Sorry if this was already suggested, but it was the first thing I thought of.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlPainless View Post
We don't all have to get technical...

My philosophy is this, sometimes shooting is alot like pooping, it can be time consuming, often difficult, uncomfortable, and let's face it, on bad days it's just not pretty.
sorry wasnt trying to be pendantic just trying to offer the OP some ideas on how to train solo sans instructor. and offer him some techniques i use to improve my ability

Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sorry wasnt trying to be pendantic just trying to offer the OP some ideas on how to train solo sans instructor. and offer him some techniques i use to improve my ability

I didn't intend for my post to sound as a counter to your input. You have some very helpful ideas there, I like the idea of using a coin for trigger control. I just tend to be a little "on the lighter side" from time to time.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you, good stuff Jon.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Last edited by OlPainless; 11-05-2009 at 08:27 PM.