Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Shooting for Fun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shooting-fun-66543/)

RustyShackleford101 06-17-2012 01:25 AM

Shooting for Fun?

I Know it's very vital to train for self defense, competition, ect, but who else likes to shoot guns for the simple pleasure of shooting guns?

jjfuller1 06-17-2012 01:29 AM

oh ofcourse. sometimes you just need to hear the bang and smell the burnt powder.. id say once or twice a year i grab a couple guns that are just to have fun with. a semi .22 and a mosin. maybe an ak, m1garand or mauser

Kenney 06-17-2012 01:34 AM

Thing goes bang and and something gets destroyed. What's not to like? Full auto fire is my equivalent to a one week trip to Disney land.

Axxe55 06-17-2012 01:34 AM

i regularly shoot them for fun. even my SD shooting practice is enjoyable, but the 22 rifle and pistol were bought pretty much for fun and informal target shooting with my father. i enjoy shooting period, so anytime behind the trigger for me is fun!

Kenney 06-17-2012 01:54 AM

You learn to shoot better under 3 circumstances.
1. Familiarity. It's hard to handle a gun you have no idea about. That's why people love 1911s and Glocks because once you've tried one, the rest a really the same.
2. Proper form and procedure. Everything from stance to dealing with that bang at the end of the muzzle is needed.
3. Just flat out practice. If the muscle memory isn't there then you'll never be able to draw in half a second and down three guys by the end of it. The other two help big time but a guy who's played with guns on a daily basis for 15 years without a day of formal training will always outshoot the COD punk who's parents payed for extensive weapons training on the weekend.

All of these are a lot easier to accomplish if you go out back everyday and maim the latest coke bottle with a 22 conversion kit and an evil smile on your face.

kycol 06-17-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101
I Know it's very vital to train for self defense, competition, ect, but who else likes to shoot guns for the simple pleasure of shooting guns?

I do! Love to watch can jump around. Love to just shoot from hip and instinct shooting. And also the carefully aimed target shooting. Just depends on the mood.

Axxe55 06-17-2012 02:26 AM

another area iwould like to get into is Cowboy shooting, strictly for fun. a couple of SAA Colt style pistols in 44-40 or 45 Colt, just for the fun of it.:D

kycol 06-17-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
another area iwould like to get into is Cowboy shooting, strictly for fun. a couple of SAA Colt style pistols in 44-40 or 45 Colt, just for the fun of it.:D

Yeh I've thought about that a few times. Saw a 13 year old boy the other day who is 3 rd in the nation. He was incredible.

Axxe55 06-17-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kycol (Post 838774)
Yeh I've thought about that a few times. Saw a 13 year old boy the other day who is 3 rd in the nation. He was incredible.

nope! have no desire to compete! already spend too much on my gun hobbies as it is. just want a couple for shooting in the backyard for the fun and to remember my childhood days of the cowboy cap pistols!

now i wouldn't mind going to some of those SASS type shoots and watching. that would be fun.

RustyShackleford101 06-17-2012 03:31 AM

Man I am glad to see responses in in such a short time. I was beginning to think that the art of plinking was dying.