Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Shooting with eyes open? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shooting-eyes-open-96993/)

AFerree 09-13-2013 05:00 PM

Shooting with eyes open?

I remember hearing somewhere that you should shoot with your eyes open at all times, especially for those in the military, LEO, and competition shooters. Is there any truth to this and if so, how would one train to get that level of eye control?

hoovco 09-13-2013 05:13 PM

I open both eyes with pistol and lower magnification optics on a rifle. Iron sights out to towards 200-300m I tend to close an eye and do the same on higher powered optics. You just have to practice. It helps when you're trying to pick up other targets or see what's going on around you.

hoovco 09-13-2013 05:14 PM

Also, if you're moving and shooting at the same time, it helps to be able to see where you're going and shooting.

Argyle_Armoring 09-13-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFerree (Post 1370663)
I remember hearing somewhere that you should shoot with your eyes open at all times, especially for those in the military, LEO, and competition shooters. Is there any truth to this and if so, how would one train to get that level of eye control?

I always shoot with my eyes open. It's difficult to see your sights and target when your eyes are shut.

AFerree 09-13-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring

I always shoot with my eyes open. It's difficult to see your sights and target when your eyes are shut.

I mean this: whenever I shoot, I close my eyes right before the gun fires because of the natural reflex when the gun goes bang and it recoils. I have head that many people learned to keep their eyes open when the gun fires. Is this true, can it help, and how can you train to keep them open at all times?

Argyle_Armoring 09-13-2013 06:42 PM

I have never had an issue with what you're describing nor have I heard of that.

DaughterofAres 09-13-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFerree (Post 1370663)

Just do it...Or try it you'll like it. I had no idea of the concept either. Grew up with one eye closed all the time. But I tried 2 open at the range last weekend, and I was simply amazed. I swear I was a better shot. bang bang bang ping ping ping. I swear. LOL!!! I will never shoot with one eye again. It doesn't make sense after you do it. And you see so much more of the target as th big picture. vs. looking through a pee hole. I dunno...I quickly liked it and won't go back.

bluez 09-13-2013 06:52 PM

One eye is old school but there was a reason for that.

it helps whit proper sight alignment on Irons on longer shots.
As CQB has become so common place and redot optics and holographic weapons sights are in wide use it is possible ot enjoy the benefits of both eyes open during firing w/o losing foruc on your sight picture. :)

AFerree 09-13-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring
I have never had an issue with what you're describing nor have I heard of that.

You have never closed your eyes right as the gun fires? Whenever I fire a gun I automatically close my eyes. Guess I must have really good reflexes. But what I'm trying to overcome is that automatic closure.

Argyle_Armoring 09-13-2013 07:22 PM

Nope. My eyes will sometimes flinch when I hear a loud sound but never while shooting. Granted I shoot at least 100 rounds a week in practicing for matches.