Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting with both eyes tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I don't wear glasses though and I'd rather not have to accessorize myself in order to see & shoot accurately. In the case of ChainFire, I understand the need being dominant eye/hand "inverted".
Glasses are a part of life for me. Then, again, I went to school with Moses. (though he was two grades ahead of me)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Well I shoot paper right now but we all know what guns can be used for, and usually it'll be a moving target in a moving environment so I totally get the use of having 2 eyes open. It's just something that I'm not used to yet and I was basically asking what's the goal, force my brain to suppress the double vision or learn how to ignore it. That's why I was asking how you guys see through your sights.
I was taught "both eyes open" from the beginning. It's a big advantage hunting white tail in the timber of Eastern Washington.

With my dominant eye behind the scope and both eyes open, I get a full field of view and my crosshairs are superimposed on my target. I occasionally get the double vision thing but quickly closing and opening my non dominant eye usually stops it.

Tack

Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #13

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I was taught "both eyes open" from the beginning. It's a big advantage hunting white tail in the timber of Eastern Washington.

With my dominant eye behind the scope and both eyes open, I get a full field of view and my crosshairs are superimposed on my target. I occasionally get the double vision thing but quickly closing and opening my non dominant eye usually stops it.

Tack
That almost sounds like a video game lol! So basically you have a clear picture with both eyes open and you don't see two targets?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Both eyes open. At first, I just ignored the "other" set of sights. After awhile I just didn't see them anymore. I've done the same with my AR, which has a 4x optic on it. It's really pretty amazing, you can train your brain to recognize only the magnified reticle. With practice, you can change between eyes. Lots of practice.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I wear glasses (and I hope others wear some eye protection, too).

Try a cloudy tape on the non-dominant eye lens when on the range. The clear image will be from the dominant eye.

With practice, the tape will not be needed on the non-dominant eye lens of your eye protection when you are in the field.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Both eyes open. At first, I just ignored the "other" set of sights. After awhile I just didn't see them anymore. I've done the same with my AR, which has a 4x optic on it. It's really pretty amazing, you can train your brain to recognize only the magnified reticle. With practice, you can change between eyes. Lots of practice.
Yesterday I was watching a new TV series (24 season 8) and I was aiming and shooting (snap caps) with both eyes for like 3 hours, trying to aim at the character's eyes lol. I'm really trying to force my brain to ignore the wrong image and your information was very valuable! Now I know that theoretically it's possible to ignore and even suppress the wrong image.

danf_fl, I read about that method and I'll try it if I have a hard time.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Yesterday I was watching a new TV series (24 season 8) and I was aiming and shooting (snap caps) with both eyes for like 3 hours, trying to aim at the character's eyes lol. I'm really trying to force my brain to ignore the wrong image and your information was very valuable! Now I know that theoretically it's possible to ignore and even suppress the wrong image.

danf_fl, I read about that method and I'll try it if I have a hard time.
Glad to help. There is an actual name for the technique, but it escapes me.

Dry firing snap caps is the way I finally got it down.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #18

Quote:
That almost sounds like a video game lol! So basically you have a clear picture with both eyes open and you don't see two targets?
Exactly...I will occasionally see the side of my scope but a quick blink clears it up. I've know people who swear they can't do this. I think the level of how much 1 eye dominates the other is different in everyone so it comes easier to some than to others. I also know that it was very difficult for me at first but my dad trained it into me by having me snap shoot milk cartons offhand with both eyes open. Initially ranges were 10 to 20 yards but before long I was drilled them out to 100 yard and it's been pretty easy ever since.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Exactly...I will occasionally see the side of my scope but a quick blink clears it up. I've know people who swear they can't do this. I think the level of how much 1 eye dominates the other is different in everyone so it comes easier to some than to others. I also know that it was very difficult for me at first but my dad trained it into me by having me snap shoot milk cartons offhand with both eyes open. Initially ranges were 10 to 20 yards but before long I was drilled them out to 100 yard and it's been pretty easy ever since.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #20

That's weird how your two posts are the same but 12 minutes apart

Anyway after 6 hours (2 x 3 hours straight) of snap capping, I'm finally able to consistently see my sights clearly with both eyes open, my target is also clear but doubles (the right image is always the right one, no put intended )

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.