Shooting with both eyes tip
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting with both eyes tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Shooting with both eyes tip

Hey all,
I learned how to shoot by closing my non dominant eye, I'm right eye dominant and right handed. Anyway I've been trying to shoot with both of my eyes open, and as you probably guessed I'm seeing two sights and two targets. Squinting my non dominant eye allows me to hide the double vision to some extent. My question to all the experienced two eyed shooters, are you just ignoring the double vision or do you actually only see one sight and one target? I get the same "symptoms" with my 1911 and 870.
Also depending on the lighting condition, do you find yourself closing your non dominant eye if it gets dark?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 05-06-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Both eyes open no issues.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You can try turning your head a bit so that your dominant eye is directly in line with the sights and the bridge of your nose block the view from your non-dominant eye. This should relieve the double vision effect. With practice you will automatically pull the gun up to this alignment with either eye.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #4

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Both eyes open here. It is best to learn to shoot with 100% of your vision working for you. A bad guy might just be sneaking up on your left.

My biggest issue is that I am right handed and left eye dominant. When shooting a rifle, I still shoot right handed but use my non-dominant eye. When shooting a pistol I lean a tad and use my left eye.

I am going to the eye doc next week, and I intend to have him/her make me a set of glasses that focus my right eye perfectly at 36" and my left at infinity. If they don't make me go insane, they should help my acuity. It sure would be nice to see the sights and the target at the same time.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The real question is, "What style shooting do you practice?"

If it's competition shooting I don't think it matters as long as you're hitting paper.

If it's fight shooting you need the second eye working for peripheral vision providing threat assessment.

You may find this interesting:

DOUG KOENIG: NON-DOMINANT EYE CLOSED?

The bad advice that I hear most often is to shoot with one eye, the non-dominant one, closed. Most military schools and expert instructors teach that both eyes should be open, even in long range shooting. However, I still see a lot of instructors telling shooters to close the non-dominant eye. This is the absolute wrong way to teach shooting. Although many shooters may believe that the monocular versus binocular shooting is simply a difference in approach, the "one eye closed" method is not correct. --Doug Koenig, Professional Shooter, Hornady Ammunition

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #6

Well I shoot paper right now but we all know what guns can be used for, and usually it'll be a moving target in a moving environment so I totally get the use of having 2 eyes open. It's just something that I'm not used to yet and I was basically asking what's the goal, force my brain to suppress the double vision or learn how to ignore it. That's why I was asking how you guys see through your sights.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #7

Liked 195 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Chainfire is definitely onto some good stuff. A couple years back, I had a prescription made for glasses that focussed at arms length. The reason was that I was doing a lot of benchwork and computer work that did not suit my bifocals all that well. At the range, my shooting improved a lot using those glasses. They really work.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #8

I don't wear glasses though and I'd rather not have to accessorize myself in order to see & shoot accurately. In the case of ChainFire, I understand the need being dominant eye/hand "inverted".

Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
My question to all the experienced two eyed shooters, are you just ignoring the double vision or do you actually only see one sight and one target? I get the same "symptoms" with my 1911 and 870.
I'm left eyed and right handed. I shoot right handed while using the 'double vision;' when shooting shotgun, and a pistol and rifle when shooting quick off hand shots.

Look at this video of me shooting a gallon jug from 2 to 7 yards while walking with a Daisy bb gun, (least expensive.)
I'd probably not get 4 shots off if I was trying to use the sights. This system works well at night.

If I shoot long range or am being as precise as possible with a rifle, I'll shoot left handed using my left eye with the sights.

When I want to be precise with a pistol I shoot right handed but simply align the sights with the dominant eye naturally.

I can shoot either way with a rifle just as well, it is just that when I started shooting, no one told me about the dominant eye; so I learned everything right handed, instead of left eyed.

Last edited by The_Kid; 05-07-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling, clarity

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
I'm left eyed and right handed. I shoot right handed while using the 'double vision;' when shooting shotgun, and a pistol and rifle when shooting quick off hand shots.

Look at this video of me shooting a gallon jug from 2 to 7 yards while walking with a Daisy bb gun, (least expensive.)
Walking Shooting Day
I'd probably not get 4 shots off if I was trying to use the sights. This system works well at night.

If I shoot long range or am being as precise as possible with a rifle, I'll shoot left handed using my left eye with the sights.

When I want to be precise with a pistol I shoot right handed but simply align the sights with the dominant eye naturally.

I can shoot either way with a rifle just as well, it is just that when I started shooting, no one told me about the dominant eye; so I learned everything right handed, instead of left eyed.
This is a pretty cool exercise. I'm lucky I guess for not being cross-dominant (or whatever the word is), I should be consistent across all guns.