Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting with both eyes open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting with both eyes open

What's the best way to learn how to shoot with both eyes open? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 369 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1008

get in to your shooting stance with your gun, keep the gun down focus on your target then bring the gun up in to the sight picture and you'll find your mark. .......that and lots of practice at the range.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
What's the best way to learn how to shoot with both eyes open? Thanks.
First of all, make sure you have good eye protection. Whether you're shooting with one eye closed or both eyes open, the blast of air will trigger an involuntary flinch... you can't do anything about it. If you train this way, you learn to flinch whether you're wearing eye pros or not. If you train while wearing eye pros, you can train yourself to not flinch... which is somewhat important when it counts.

In addition to the flinch factor, eye protection provides... PROTECTION in case of a KB or excess unburned powder residue or even brass flying into your eyes.

Ok, enough on the eye-pro soap box. It's best to go with a low-recoil/low power while you're learning. When you've figured WHAT you're gonna shoot, the next step is to learn HOW to shoot.

You're gonna have to teach your brain how to use the "ghost image" with your target vs. your sights. You're gonna be looking at the target with both eyes, but your only gonna be looking at your sights with your "shooting eye". It's gonna take some practice and getting used to, because it's important to focus on that front sight in a way that you don't lose objectivity of your target. That's going to involve some eye-relaxation techniques that can only come with practice... lots and lots of practice.

You can practice the sighting techniques plenty without being on a range.

Hope this helps!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

That was very helpful, thank you.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

As said before, your going to look at the target, and line the ghost sights up with your dominant eye. The easiest way to figure out which eye is your dominant eye is, look at something and point at it, you should see two "ghost" fingers, you should naturally line up one with your "target", alternate closing your eyes one at a time, whichever eye is open when your finger is still on your "target" is your dominant eye. For me, I am right eye dominant, so I look to line up the left "ghost" sights when I'm shooting.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

About eye dominance. It does make a difference. I am left handed, but majorly right eye dominant. That kind of deal is called cross-dominance. It only affects my rifle and bow shooting. Practice, practice, practice. You will learn to shoot with both eyes open when shooting open sights with a pistol.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #7

One thing that really helps is lots of dry-firing. I practice while watching T.V. (especially when Obama's on). The two biggest problems with most folks are: 1. Bad habits ie: closing the weak eye to focus on the sights because they don't think they can see well enough with both eyes open. 2. Flinching due to muzzle blast.
Dry firing can help eliminate both of these problems, just make sure that your chosen gun is safe to fire this way, or use a fired casing or Snap Caps.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Defensive target shooting: Both eyes open is best if you can do it. Gives depth perception but more importantly it gives you periphery vision. Many cannot keep the target or the sights from "jumping" and many don't even know if they close an eye or not.

Some that are cross-dominant eyed have trouble keeping both open.

Likewise it is said that shotguns are better shot with both eyes open. I use both eyes when I shoot a rifle with iron sights and site a scope with a rifle.

So, I think if you can keep both open and do as well as closing one... do it. although, as mentioned, some people cannot, so do what works best for you.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Guns are scary and noisy, so I go both eyes closed.

J/K, I'm in Skulls boat, right eye dominat and left handed. So pistols are either hand for me, rifle takes some work.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Guns are scary and noisy, so I go both eyes closed.

J/K, I'm in Skulls boat, right eye dominat and left handed. So pistols are either hand for me, rifle takes some work.
Never woulda guessed that you were left handed...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!