Shooting from behind barricade?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting from behind barricade??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I started using off hand (for me left) with an air soft pistol. A lot of folks poo poo this but I found it gave a very good indication of if I jerk the pistol during the trigger pull because I could see the pellet not flying straight. Also I could shoot it in the house. (when she was not there ) Then I started using snap caps to practice trigger control with off hand. Then best thing I did was get a 22 so I could afford to practice a lot at the range with my left. I'm still no crack shot as a lefty but I am comfortable using it; and from across the room I'd be able to put a BG down.

Nothing wrong with your ideas. Seriously, I have used Nerf guns to teach younguns room clear/sectors of fire/open or closed stairwell/hallway movement/dynamic corner etc.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 03-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it that difficult to shift the gun to your left using regular 2 hand hold with your pistol? I am fine with it and just curious if others really tried it and having difficulty.

I don't want to transfer my gun to my left in fear that I might lose my gun after the initial shot due to recoil. I am sure I will not be as accurate too and my grip is not as strong. Just me.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Is it that difficult to shift the gun to your left using regular 2 hand hold with your pistol? I am fine with it and just curious if others really tried it and having difficulty.

I don't want to transfer my gun to my left in fear that I might lose my gun after the initial shot due to recoil. I am sure I will not be as accurate too and my grip is not as strong. Just me.
I am actually left handed, but train *mostly* right-handed. I am just as accurate with my left, but a lot slower. Hopefully practice will improve this..

Maybe I should practice doing somersaults/cartwheels and shoot like in the Matrix?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Maybe I should practice doing somersaults/cartwheels and shoot like in the Matrix?
Couldn't hurt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
This ^^^. If you can get the Thunder Ranch DVD by Clint Smith...he covered this well. IIRC, you have to always let you gun take point (ready to fire)...present it slightly ahead as you look or move forward each "slice". I know it will be a bit awkward but you will have to do some body contortions as you move through this.
Yes. I have been to Thunder Ranch and this was basically what was taught. Since then I have added a few tricks to the arsenal.

As for the diagram at hand, I would still suggest changing the battlefield.
"Come into my parlor" said the spider to the fly
scenario.jpg  

Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Good stuff here. Just try to remember that if the scenario ever becomes real you will be in a state of hyper vigiliance, hyper everything, dealing with a surge of adrenaline, rapid heartbeat and respiration, not to mention the natural tendency to want to protect yourself when the rounds start flying. Technique tends to fly out the window so keep everything you practice as simple as possible.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Practice strong/support-side transitions. Max Michel has some good tips but I disagree with his support-side stance because he exposes too much of himself leaning outward to fire with his strong (right) side. If you are in your house chances are you will be firing around a corner as opposed to a "barricade" so you won't be firing right and left in quick succession, you will be firing one or the other initially.

If you are right handed, it is not that difficult to learn to fire with your support (left) hand and eye using your right hand as support underneath your left.
I agree with all of the above. However, I'd like to add there are good techniques and bad techniques to transition from strong hand to weak hand and vice versa. It's important to learn a "good way" that is safe, simple, and efficient. Then practice, practice, practice.....

Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #18
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

I don't want to transfer my gun to my left in fear that I might lose my gun after the initial
shot due to recoil. I am sure I will not be as
accurate too and my grip is not as strong.
Just me.
No it's not hard at all. I'll admit though, I remember when I was being introduced to this technique in a class and I had somewhat similar concerns as you.

There are times it is okay to transition a firearm and times not to. In the middle of firing numerous rounds is not a good time to do so.

With proper techniques and fundamentals the grip you transitioned into should be equally solid as you initial grip.

Last edited by AOK; 03-23-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i think that i would go to a knee and keep the weapon in my right hand. just me.. but come on down the hallway isnt a bad idea either.
lots of good advice through out.. good reading as well.
only thing that i can add is only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #20

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In most scenarios, once lead starts flying at the bad guy, all you will see is a%# and elbows as he/they try to escape. I say this because most BG's don't expect resistance let alone firearms against them.

Now if the BG's shoot back, Dillinger's drawing is spot on. The only thing I would add is to gain cover preferably, concealment if no cover is available, and reduce the BG's target area. In other words, make yourself smaller. That could be in a crouched position with the ability to move laterally, or backwards as necessary, or prone which is ideal because BG's don't think about shooting into the ground.

Defining cover would be something that will offer you the most safety from most caliber's of bullet penetration, eg: brick wall, dirt berm, thick trees, automobile (behind the motor), etc.

Concealment is something for you to hide behind which offers very little safety from bullet penetration, but will make it harder to be visually spotted. eg: interior house walls, furniture, backyard sheds, bushes, etc.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.