Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shooting from behind barricade??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Shooting from behind barricade??

I was doing a survey of my house last night and running through various scenarios. One thing that occurred to me is that some of the entrances are line-of-sight from a right-hand wall. I.e., if I were forced to engage an intruder from one entrance, I'd need to barricade behind a wall/corner to my right.

I generally practice with my right hand though I write/throw with my left. I am right eye dominant.

What is the best technique for shooting from this position?

Shooting with my left hand is one option. Leaning and shooting with my right, while facing target, is another. It seems that I could also face the *other* direction but this would mean shooting without the support hand (though it would afford the most cover while shooting from the dominant hand).

Sorry if this isn't too clear... I can elaborate if needed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My initial thought would be to back away from the wall to your right and cut the pie moving left until you could bring the gun to bear on the intruder.

The intruder would have to pivot left to shoot at you in this position, so unless your house was being broken into by Jack or another operator (), their focus is probably going to be forward/straight ahead.

With you changing the axis point of where your cover starts and stops it allows you to cover a lot more territory with a simple shuffle step. You can lean to your left to allow for your right hand to make the shot and lean back to get back behind the cover, as the "cover' is now closer to the attacker. Law of the Horizon and all that.

Another thought is to change levels on an attacker, but that would not be my first inclination. Dropping to a knee or lying down might take too long and expose you to a position of dominance immediately if swarmed.

Interesting question. I will be reading the answers to see what the others have to say.

JD

Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well, unless you live in a house where the interior walls are masonry/brick they would afford you the best cover needed to do what you said. If you have drywall or stucco interior walls and hollow doors like most, and you have a BG that is definitely shooting back, depending on the weapons used...shooting through the wall at him will give you the best results and the cover to move up and forward to a better barrier and/or shooting position, and them. YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
I was doing a survey of my house last night and running through various scenarios. One thing that occurred to me is that some of the entrances are line-of-sight from a right-hand wall. I.e., if I were forced to engage an intruder from one entrance, I'd need to barricade behind a wall/corner to my right.

I generally practice with my right hand though I write/throw with my left. I am right eye dominant.

What is the best technique for shooting from this position?

Shooting with my left hand is one option. Leaning and shooting with my right, while facing target, is another.
Shooting off handed or strong hand supported is fine. I would usually shoot off hand supported in that situation but that's me. You should try working on different techniques and tactics to find out what works best for YOU.

Just like if you take a class. There are many different tactics and techniques being taught. It's up to the student to keep an open mind and see if the new concept works for them or not. It's better to experiment and practice now than when you're in the middle of a
fight.

Last edited by AOK; 03-22-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #5

Check out this video. From my experience this is the best way to did it with a pistol.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 901 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Practice strong/support-side transitions. Max Michel has some good tips but I disagree with his support-side stance because he exposes too much of himself leaning outward to fire with his strong (right) side. If you are in your house chances are you will be firing around a corner as opposed to a "barricade" so you won't be firing right and left in quick succession, you will be firing one or the other initially.

If you are right handed, it is not that difficult to learn to fire with your support (left) hand and eye using your right hand as support underneath your left.

Last edited by 7point62; 03-23-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default more info

Thanks for the suggestions...

To elaborate just a bit... The room is along a corridor. That particular wall on the right is a foundation wall (kudos for reminding me to check that).

I'm constrained at the back, so cannot subtend the arc much beyond that single axis. My concern is that were I to seek better positioning along the corridor, I'll end up shooting towards a wall to the far left (not on diagram) that is just drywall.

You folks are awesome.. I am grateful for sharing your experiences/knowledge and suggestions.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
My initial thought would be to back away from the wall to your right and cut the pie moving left until you could bring the gun to bear on the intruder.

With you changing the axis point of where your cover starts and stops it allows you to cover a lot more territory with a simple shuffle step. You can lean to your left to allow for your right hand to make the shot and lean back to get back behind the cover, as the "cover' is now closer to the attacker. Law of the Horizon and all that.
This ^^^. If you can get the Thunder Ranch DVD by Clint Smith...he covered this well. IIRC, you have to always let you gun take point (ready to fire)...present it slightly ahead as you look or move forward each "slice". I know it will be a bit awkward but you will have to do some body contortions as you move through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Well, unless you live in a house where the interior walls are masonry/brick they would afford you the best cover needed to do what you said. If you have drywall or stucco interior walls and hollow doors like most, and you have a BG that is definitely shooting back, depending on the weapons used...shooting through the wall at him will give you the best results and the cover to move up and forward to a better barrier and/or shooting position, and them. YMMV
Something to consider. If you are "slicing" as stated on the previous post, your wall/cover might not be sufficient to stop his bullet being shot at you.

Also covered in the Thunder Ranch DVD is always having your exit strategy if things go south.

Last edited by Poink88; 03-23-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 901 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 687

If I were the "me" in your diagram, my left eye, my weapon and my hands would be the only thing on the danger side of that wall.

If you can't get to a range that has a highsmith drill barricade or something similar, you can practice in your home with a dry weapon.

"far right fanantic/troll" -- according to Shoobee

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I started using off hand (for me left) with an air soft pistol. A lot of folks poo poo this but I found it gave a very good indication of if I jerk the pistol during the trigger pull because I could see the pellet not flying straight. Also I could shoot it in the house. (when she was not there ) Then I started using snap caps to practice trigger control with off hand. Then best thing I did was get a 22 so I could afford to practice a lot at the range with my left. I'm still no crack shot as a lefty but I am comfortable using it; and from across the room I'd be able to put a BG down.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."