Shoot Until the Threat is no longer a Threat - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shoot Until the Threat is no longer a Threat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Here's a link to a great story! I know this guy & respect him greatly! It is an example of a home invader/stalker on a killing spree who happens to be armored!
http://www.savedbyagun.com/our_story.html
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #72

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

therukh -
Terrific story . It certainly raises some questions for me :
(1) Should Stanton have fired on the attacker first based on police reports that he was on a killing spree and on his arrival at the house unannounced ?

(2) Should Stanton have used his rifle for penetration instead of worrying about overpenetration ?

( 3 ) If the family felt in danger all of those years, why didn't they have a safe room set up to shelter in place ?

( 4 ) Should Stanton have trained and armed other family members as a force multiplier ?

Here's link to a news story that corroborates the account you provided : http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/21/us/police-say-ex-employee-killed-4-in-hunt-for-former-co-workers.html

Last edited by Rentacop; 10-14-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #73
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh
Here's a link to a great story! I know this guy & respect him greatly! It is an example of a home invader/stalker on a killing spree who happens to be armored!
http://www.savedbyagun.com/our_story.html
Yes Fantastic story! Gd Bless him and his Family for Surviving.
Nothing ever that Bad for My Parents,..but Dad locked up a lotta people and we had to Ch Phone #'s twice.
Never forget the time One of the Husbands of a drunk Postal worker Woman Tried confronting My Dad & I coming back from Food shopping. Dad Simply Said "If I have to kill you In front of my Son, I will, but you can walk away right now and Save you and your wife any more Problems then you have"....He walked away cursing but we never heard from him again.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop
I've never been afflicted with qualms about haviing to " take a life " . The way I've always viewed it is that the criminal chose to take the risk of committing the crime and deserves whatever he gets, that whether his life is more valuable than my property is a decision he makes, that there is deterrant value in dead criminals , that he probably places little value on my life and that if the criminal is an imminent threat to others it is a no-brainer morally . One guy told me that dead men don't sue and I have no reason to doubt him . I doubt that I would hesitate at a crucial moment . That said, I don't know what kind of emotional and legal troubles I might suffer afterwards . From what I've read, when you are taking fire from an enemy bent on killing you and your family, you will want a 12 guage shotgun loaded with the most lethal, effective shells on the market, in fact you might want a 10 guage .
The only people truly "without qualms" about taking another human life are sociopaths. It may seem like an easy choice when you think about preserving your own life. But its hard to even point a gun at another person when you think you may have to pull the trigger and end their life.
People Like This 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #75
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
The only people truly "without qualms" about taking another human life are sociopaths. It may seem like an easy choice when you think about preserving your own life. But its hard to even point a gun at another person when you think you may have to pull the trigger and end their life.
i think if we ever get to the point that the taking of another person's life as easy, even that of someone intent on doing us or our loved ones harm, we have lost our humanity. the taking of human life is something serious and not to be taken lightly.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i think if we ever get to the point that the taking of another person's life as easy, even that of someone intent on doig us or our loved one harm, we have lost our humanity. the taking of human life is something serious and not to be taken lightly.
Exactly. I don't even like pointing my gun at people. Every time I do it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #77

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I should clarify my thinking by saying that my lack of moral qualms is based on the idea that the person deserves what he is getting . I'd have great difficulty doing any kind of wrong to an innocent or virtuous person . A sociopath simply has no feelings for others and I am not a sociopath .

Do you guys think of Richard Speck, Charles Manson, Charles Whitman and wonder if you could shoot them if they were attacking you ? If so, I think it would be good to explore the morality of defense further and try to resolve such conflicts so you will be ready if the need to shoot in self-defense arises .
If you must hunt down and stop an active shooter in a building, you will be at a disadvantage if you operate on the instinctive resistance to killing or on a hazy idea that " killing is wrong no matter what " .

Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post

Do you guys think of Richard Speck, Charles Manson, Charles Whitman and wonder if you could shoot them if they were attacking you ? If so, I think it would be good to explore the morality of defense further and try to resolve such conflicts so you will be ready if the need to shoot in self-defense arises .
If you must hunt down and stop an active shooter in a building, you will be at a disadvantage if you operate on the instinctive resistance to killing or on a hazy idea that " killing is wrong no matter what " .
Could I defend myself against a Manson or Speck, or Bundy? I certainly hope so, but there is no way in the world I would expect to live through something like and then walk off as if nothing happened. The way your initial statement read, you gave me the impression that you would feel more remorse over dropping your ice cream cone than you would taking another human's life.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
more remorse over dropping your ice cream cone than you would taking another human's life.
Now hold on... What kind of ice cream are we talking about here? That's a pretty important detail...

Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Now hold on... What kind of ice cream are we talking about here? That's a pretty important detail...
I was actually thinking the same thing. Are we talking store brand or Ben and Jerry's? Strawberry or rocky road? Iced milk or gelato?

Doc, please explain this ice cream in detail so that we can properly judge our level of remorse for comparison.

Actually, explanations are subjective to your own personal opinion. So what we need in order to properly judge this circumstance, is for you to provide each of us with a SAMPLE of the ice cream in question. Preferably pint sized or larger, so that we can get a real understanding of the ice cream on all emotional and psychological levels.