Shoot Until the Threat is no longer a Threat - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shoot Until the Threat is no longer a Threat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #101
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I think those who have killed before have an easier time of it. LEOs and Military use fairly similar desensitization tactics for deadly force training. They're nothing special. Lots of gory photos, using silhouettes instead of bullseyes, training with simunitions etc.
plus lots of running with full packs, lots of target practice, and when going into combat, you know that the people shooting at you are trying to kill you. they train soldiers to survive and to kill their enemy before he kills them. plus many times in combat, the soldier has team mates watching their back.

in the civilian use of SD shooting, the only objective is to survive the encounter in whatever possible way. whether it's wounding or killing the attacker is irrelevent. what matters is being alive in the end, and the attacker no longer poses a threat. IMO, i really don't care whether the BG lives or dies, only that i'm alive when it's over with.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the main objective in a SD shooting is to stop the threat. whatever that may require. nothing about killing anyone or wounding them. you are only trying to stop that threat from inflicting any or more damage to you or your loved ones.

in the course of a SD shooting, and even at very close range, with adrenaline and fear flowing, your heart going a million beats per minute, you palms are sweating like crazy, can you gaurantee you will make two accurate hits, instead of fifteen misses?
To stop them, you will probably need to hit them. This is whey I have to laugh at all the people whining about over-penetration. Odds are you will miss at least once, and I am being very generous with that number of misses. Unhindered rounds heading downrange are a lot more dangerous than one that has expended a good part of it's energy traveling through the bad guy.

In this WSP shootout we know at least 8 shots were fired. We know at least two of those eight hit. Check my math here, but it looks like as many as 75% of the shots fired missed their targets. I sure am glad I wasn't on that road that day. I would have had a mess on my leather seats.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #103
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
To stop them, you will probably need to hit them. This is whey I have to laugh at all the people whining about over-penetration. Odds are you will miss at least once, and I am being very generous with that number of misses. Unhindered rounds heading downrange are a lot more dangerous than one that has expended a good part of it's energy traveling through the bad guy.

In this WSP shootout we know at least 8 shots were fired. We know at least two of those eight hit. Check my math here, but it looks like as many as 75% of the shots fired missed their targets. I sure am glad I wasn't on that road that day. I would have had a mess on my leather seats.
i agree that being aware of what's behind the bad guy is very important. those misses are still potentially dangerous to innocent bystanders.

very good point Doc. dfinately something we need to be aware of and to give some consideration to.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #104

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Lots of people have been injured by overpenetration by bullets fired by the police . This is more than a theoretical problem . Expanding bullets not only resist overpenetration but also ricochets .

Misses are obviously a danger to bystanders .

Jeff Cooper preached that if you let the bad guy slow down the bullets, you need not worry as much about innocent bystanders.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 182 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Lots of people have been injured by overpenetration by bullets fired by the police . This is more than a theoretical problem . Expanding bullets not only resist overpenetration but also ricochets .

Misses are obviously a danger to bystanders .

Jeff Cooper preached that if you let the bad guy slow down the bullets, you need not worry as much about innocent bystanders.
Well said! Always remember...there is a lawyer attached to the base of every bullet that comes out of the end of your barrel.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
Well said! Always remember...there is a lawyer attached to the base of every bullet that comes out of the end of your barrel.
Just like a lawyer to be tied to the wrong end.