Shoot once or twice? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shoot once or twice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Something else to consider when aiming for the pelvic region or there abouts is the bladder I hear is not pleasant to be hit especially when full.

I agree that there is no sure method to drop someone with a pelvic shot but let's consider (and this happened several years ago in oregon) the bad guy has body armor. Under stress a headshot is difficult and even more so if they are returning fire on you.

Good thoughts flowing here.
The area of the pelvic girdle that is necessary to hit to deliver incapacitation is smaller than a human head. Add in the fact that the pelvic girdle is nearly impossible to break, unless from a straight-on shot (face to face with the attacker) I'll take my chances with a shot to the brainpan.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #12

Default head shot? lol

head shots are pointless unless you are across town with a .308 and aiming at someone important. the head moves and is a smaller target, center of mass is more effective, i wouldnt waste the shot with a pistol, double tap to the torso will usually drop them or at least stagger them long enough for you to retreat to cover and return fire again.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If they stagger, and you return fire, where do you shoot at? The torso again, that did no damage last time you shot him there?

Head shots are hard, but that's why people practice...

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think JohnSilver was refering to the use of "double tap," in self defense. In my police training, we were drilled endlessly in that concept, because the idea of a "one shot stop," is a myth. Yeah, sure it can happen, but don't bet your life on it.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

One shot, center mass will at least phase an attacker, even one wearing body armor. This will free you up for a second or two to address the other attackers if they exist. After at least temporarily disabling all attackers, you can return to them for follow up shots as necessary. After the first shot, they will be moving much more slowly, and you've got a higher chance of placing a second shot in a more vital or less defended area. There are few animals, people included, in this world that won't just fold when hit with a bullet. Anyone who hunts or has been in combat, knows this to be true.

The 'two in the chest and one in the head' drill is really only necessary when running quickly through a large group of people where you won't have time to place follow up shots. It takes a considerable amount of training to perfect and honestly, would be hard to explain to the DA, as it is done to purposely kill an individual, rather than incapacitate an attacker. You may be tried for murder in a self defense case and that needs to be in the back of your mind when training for self defense situations.