Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Shoot once or twice? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shoot-once-twice-1316/)

JohnSilver 07-19-2007 03:18 PM

Shoot once or twice?

I have heard from some people that its best to shoot in pairs rather than shoot only one shot at a time if your attacked....

ranger_sxt 07-19-2007 05:00 PM

Shoot until the threat stops. If it only takes one round, then only shoot one round. If you empty your magazine and have to reload, do that. There is no magic number.

FALPhil 07-19-2007 06:22 PM

The doctrine of multiple shots on an attacker actually was popularized by the father of modern gunfighting, Col. Jeff Cooper. He exposited that when confronted with multiple attackers, it was inefficient to shot one and wait to see if the shot had the intended effect, so the rule of gunfighting thumb became, put two quick shots in the center of mass and move to the next target. Ultimately, the multi-shot doctrine evolved into the "Mozambique".

bkt 07-19-2007 07:46 PM

FALPhil is exactly right. Two to center of mass. Repeat as necessary.

KevinG 07-30-2007 01:36 AM

Shoot until the attack has stopped as already said. Have a backup to firing COM such as the pelvis or head shot. For me the head shot is a backup to the pelivis which is easier to fake out by the attacker.

robocop10mm 07-30-2007 03:55 PM

once or twice

I agree, shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. I like to start low and ride the recoil up. Pelvis, abdomen, chest, head.

The pelvic shot is good for an attacker armed with a knife or club. When you break the pelvis, the body cannot stand and will fall. I would not trust a 9mm to break the pelvis. I only consider this with a "Major caliber". 40, 10, .357 or 45.

ranger_sxt 07-30-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 5307)
I agree, shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. I like to start low and ride the recoil up. Pelvis, abdomen, chest, head.

The pelvic shot is good for an attacker armed with a knife or club. When you break the pelvis, the body cannot stand and will fall. I would not trust a 9mm to break the pelvis. I only consider this with a "Major caliber". 40, 10, .357 or 45.

I wouldn't trust any handgun cartridge to break the pelvis, let alone perforate the femoral artery.

If I'm in fear of my life, I don't shoot to wound, I shoot to end the fight. The easiest way to end a fight is if the other guy can't move, either because I broke his CNS (upper spinal cord or brain shot), or his brain has no oxygen (heart or blood vessel).

rachilders 07-30-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_sxt (Post 4743)
Shoot until the threat stops. If it only takes one round, then only shoot one round. If you empty your magazine and have to reload, do that. There is no magic number.

+1+

Shoot what ever number rounds it takes to make the threat stop or to make it leave (same results for you... no more threat)

FL Gunner 08-05-2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_sxt (Post 5315)
I wouldn't trust any handgun cartridge to break the pelvis, let alone perforate the femoral artery.

Bingo. Rifles have field days with pelvis shots, but there's simply not enough power in most handgun rounds. And keep in mind that most people survive gunshots by handguns. Most don't when shot by rifles. Keep shooting until the fight is over.

-Brian

KevinG 08-08-2007 03:10 AM

Something else to consider when aiming for the pelvic region or there abouts is the bladder I hear is not pleasant to be hit especially when full.

I agree that there is no sure method to drop someone with a pelvic shot but let's consider (and this happened several years ago in oregon) the bad guy has body armor. Under stress a headshot is difficult and even more so if they are returning fire on you.

Good thoughts flowing here.